Introducing myself and a few questions

Hi there, I was referred to this forum from the sound on sound forum. I'm a sort of jack-of-all trades at my venues (Church and School). I do Projectors, Sound (live mixing), Stage lighting (plays and live music), general A/V, Stage Managing, and acting. I'd love to get into some of the deeper aspects of Sound, lighting, and Stage Management, and I'd really appreciate it if someone could link to some of the well established discussions on them. My problem is I know alot of practical stuff, but not alot of theory. I'd like to learn more in depth about the electronics and troubleshooting, as well as just general tips on lighting, sound and stage management. I use an Allen and Heath board (I don't know the model number off the top of my head) and a Strand 430 light board.

Thanks for reading!

Welcome.

Whem it comes to in-depth discussion of lighting, sound, whatever, it's almost impossible to single out a handful of topics that are representative of what has been (or is being) talked about on the BR. The forum started in January '03, and every post right from the start is available to view in the archives - so that's 237,488 of them to date (not including those in sections which don't count towards post totals, e.g. The Crew Room!). The best thing might be to think of a few specific things that you'd like to read about, and plug those search terms into the Google search box that appears at the top-right of every BR page - that'll give you a starting point, at least, and then if you come across any topics that you find you'd like to discuss further, just resurrect the topic by adding a post at the end.

Happy reading!

As a person that relies on the practicalities, rather than any (specific) theory.......

My problem is I know alot of practical stuff, but not a lot of theory.

If it sounds good, then go with it!, if it doesn't, then look at the weakest link in your chain (or knowledge), and research that point first. Formuate a strategy to build on, rather than reading pointless topic after topic. As Gareth said, there's nearly quarter of a million posts in this forum, so choose your subjects wisely!

Archived