Sound System in primary school

edhombre

Working in a college, I have to agree with both Paulears & Simon, Coomber gear is the way to go. But don't buy their mics,

Another way would be to buy a pair of Mackie 350's (self powered speakers), something like a Beringer 4 channel desk and leads plus a couple of SM57's. should do the job and last a couple of years.

but I dont understand why people should install kit that they know is going to break!!! when I said proffesional I meant kit what is decent not something we as the proffesionals know is going to break in 12 months time I dont believe that we should be doing that.

sam

The main thing on this one is simplicity of operation...and for that reason I'd agree that the first choice would be the Coomber stuff, with a pre-packaged kit like the Lancelyn one somebody linked to a possible second choice. With the utmost respect to the OP, I doubt he has the skills to put together a bespoke system and even a simple Behringer mixer would likely scare off a typical primary school teacher. They're trained to teach young kids, not mix sound.

With either the Coomber or Lancelyn (or similar) kits I WOULD spend the money on SM58 mics. Young kids can be tough on mics and these will "out-tough" the roughest Bart Simpson act-alike.

The one thing not to do is use the domestic hifi gear originally discussed. Ignoring for a moment the fact that you couldn't use mics with it, hifi gear is just not designed for this application. It won't last and, even if you manage to plug in the mics, the first thing you'll notice is an impossible amount of feedback.

Bob

Ive done half a dozen installs with the same kit format and no complaints

Phonic powerpod mixer amp

CD /Tape combo as all schools still have hundreds of tapes

AKG radio mic and rechargeable batetries

JBL control 1s

The gubbins is housed in a rack which has a fly lead which connects into a speakon on the wall allowing the rack to be put away ( on Wheels)

You must supply a lead to connect the keyboard to the system or you will be called back

you must make sure one apointed person is well trained on the kit

after you set it up photo the amp getting a clear shot of the settings...put this photo in the system manual

they can now reference the phot and reset the system to a working point if it all goes tits.

Now sit back and wait for them to become increasingly technician

link in the dvd player, add a point for their laptops

supply rifles for the chrissy production

install stage monitors cos the darlings cant hear the backing track

make custom mic stands cos they are only 4 ft high

become a general consultant on all things technician AV related or not

ask the apointed teacher out for a date, get her to move in and then get married ....

this last bit is optional but it worked for me !!!!

Archived