HM Revenue and Customs

Wingwalker

Dear all,

Just to let you know that there is a spoof email doing the rounds supposedly from HM Revenue and Customs saying that you are eligable for a £252.80 tax refund. It asks you to do the usual "click here" for details on how to apply blah blah. Don't do it, after double checking on the phone with HMRC they confirmed it is fraudulent and have said that they would never contact you in this way. They also said that further information is on their website. Shame really, as I could have put the money towards my holiday...

David.

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing the scams people try..

Another warning from my side. Be carefull of Gumtree (UK/ZA?anywhere). I nearly got caught with an accommodation scam on the first go, and the next 2 enquiries were of the same modus.

'Look before you buy' - applies.

Guest lightnix

The very idea that HMRC are giving money back, should surely be enough to alert most people to the fact that it's a scam (If it sounds too good to be true...) :D

That said, they did voluntarily give me nearly £3k back a few years ago - although they didn't tell me by e-mail :(

Inclined to agree with Nick on the contact thing. When HMRC send me information, summons for more money, rebates, etc etc its ALWAYS done in the post. I have never had an email from HMRC for anything, its all in the post.

So, with all due respect, anyone getting this sort of thing by email who deals with HMRC, would surely think long and hard about it? Emails like this are not uncommon, I frequently get from from 'Natwest', 'Ebay', 'HSBC' and similar. I would take a bit more notice, but I don't have accounts with HSBC, Ebay or Natwest!!

The other favorite ones, are the "Beneficiaries" ones, claiming that you have been chosen to be a beneficiary of "lord, lady, Mr ....."

who has died without any known relatives, usually accompanied with bad spelling and grammar, to contact someone in "Lundon UK".

I know someone (a close friend) who got caught out and is still suffering the repercussions 3 years on. They made the classic error of replying. Had their ID stolen.

Archived