cajon

daveh

Anyone have much experience micing cajon. I understand these are very 'individual' in sound. Spanish engineers seem to mic the soundhole with a 57 about 2/3 inserted so to speak but I wonder if this can't be improved on - perhaps with the addition of a KM 84 or similar at the front (obviously Ø rev) for the slap?

Any experiences /advice would be much appreciated.

Dave

Hi,

I've had to mic quite a few of these of recent and one of the best ways I've seen is to use a beta 91 inside for the click of the sound and a beta 52 in the soundhole for the large part of the sound.

Also a 57 or something works well for the click part.

HTH

Matt

(FOH at Jazz World)

I generally put a kick drum mic in the hole. Beta 52 or similar. I find that this works surprisingly well at picking up both the thud and the snares. I used to use a condenser as well to get the high end, but I decided that there was no need as the 52 tends to pick up the whole lot nicely.

Watch it there are many different "cajones" but most of them are 2 types. "Cajón Peruano" it's the most typical one. It's the one that has only one big whole on the rear- most people here place a b-52 but an sm57 will work fine ). "Cajon flamenco" has a smaller hole in the middle but it's a lot bigger ( on this case people place the mic on the from ( generally I've seen sm's 57 there ).

I hope it helps.

Cheers Chaps

I'll post my findings post gig.

All I know of the cajon concerned, before the guys arrive from Spain, is that it has a 'snare' & the sound hole is at the rear (hey that sounds like someone I know).

I'll also voice my opinion on the C411's I intend to use for monitor source on flamenco guitar.

I'll also voice my opinion on the C411's I intend to use for monitor source on flamenco guitar.

Not sure if the guitarist would like you sticking these on.

How are you going to attach them Dave?

John Denim.

Re stick on John, I'll use the 'blue tack' (well, black) stuff supplied by AKG - all clear with the guitar player, in fact he's taken the C411's away to experiment in the studio with sounds/positioning. I'll be meeting up before the gig to collect his thoughts.

OK Dave,

Just checking! The AKG adhesive can sometimes mark the finish of a guitar, although they say its removable, I have known it to stain the varnish.

As it is a flemenco the rear mic positioning should be adequate, and also a c1000 (hahahahaha , don't ask paul ears) or similar condenser on a stand near the sound hole.

John Denim.

* the pedals on the side of a cajon are to switch the snares on / off. They don't all have them, but fancy ones do*

In small gigs you can get away with just a 58 on the back hole. I play one on a regular basis and am happy if that's the engineer's choice. Obviously for the best, a lovely condensor on the front makes the slap sound wicked. I actually bought mine after I'd engineered for a band who had one as I thought it waqs one of the coolest sounds I'd heard from such a small box.

Archived