National Youth Theatre Summer '08

willpower

Hi Will,

Your gonna have an awesome time, was my first year last year. This year I'm working as a production electrician for NYT's season in Soho

Small Plug: 4 Shows at the Soho Theatre, a long and a short on most nights between 15th August to 13th September

Tip 1, stay as long as you can afford! Tip 2, make loads of friends! Tip 3, If you work hard, you'll get the best shows!

Tip 4, Don't stay in Hatters Hostel in Manchester, if you tour up there!

Mark

Hi will, as an ex member, your have a great time, and get to work with some very good creatives!

There are lots of posts in a thread somehwere on the blue room already if you do a quick serach, it may answer more more questions you may have.

Jon

Yea youll have a good time, el Beasley will keep you right. Theyre using new halls for the London techs as far as I Remember.

Also if youre in early at the HQ, theres a nice sani shop across the road n down a bit, open fair early.

Actually, Duncan, Marks not head of the LX dept any more - hes now a full time PM! Robs left too, btw.

Building on the previous thread, the shop's called Amazon, pretty much straight over the road. It's quite expensive, but not majorly so.

Hope it doesn't rain! They were planning to waterproof the basement over Easter time, but if not, the props/costume store and some of the LX training rooms flood when it rains. Many a time was spent with a bucket and mop!

Don't be late in the morning. If you are, let them know as soon as you can.

Living in London, I'm assuming you're going to be travelling from home. If not, don't bring a Leatherman/Gerber. NYT have a strict no-knives policy (It may have said so on the forms you will have had to sign). There's no real need for one anyway.

Despite what Mark said about Hatter's in the first post, it wasn't so bad, just some people got serious food poinsoning while there. Having said that, it was cheap, and very central, unlike where we stayed during Easter Bites.

I'm going to come and say hi to all sometime, so hope to see you then!

Any other questions, feel free to PM or email me.

Chris

I'm not involved with NYT anymore (joined in 94!) but its formed the basis of where I am career wise (and to a degree who I am now) its a great great company and you'll have such an amazing time. Grab absolutly everything from it. Good luck....!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, and Chris and Dunc and Mark all from last year.

Im most likely going to be helping out this year mentoring you. So ill see you there ( the two new people for this year)

You will have a great time, and learn lots of new things.

Ill pm you both.

JP

Actually, Duncan, Marks not head of the LX dept any more - hes now a full time PM! Robs left too, btw.

Building on the previous thread, the shop's called Amazon, pretty much straight over the road. It's quite expensive, but not majorly so.

Hope it doesn't rain! They were planning to waterproof the basement over Easter time, but if not, the props/costume store and some of the LX training rooms flood when it rains. Many a time was spent with a bucket and mop!

Don't be late in the morning. If you are, let them know as soon as you can.

Living in London, I'm assuming you're going to be travelling from home. If not, don't bring a Leatherman/Gerber. NYT have a strict no-knives policy (It may have said so on the forms you will have had to sign). There's no real need for one anyway.

Despite what Mark said about Hatter's in the first post, it wasn't so bad, just some people got serious food poinsoning while there. Having said that, it was cheap, and very central, unlike where we stayed during Easter Bites.

I'm going to come and say hi to all sometime, so hope to see you then!

Any other questions, feel free to PM or email me.

Chris

Hi Chris, and everyone else!!

They haven't waterproofed the basement - I was down there today and it was soaked!!! Spent about an hour sweeping the water around only for it to return to where it was to begin with!!!

By the way, I'll be there for the next two weeks so I look forward to seeing everyone there!!!

Dedward

• 1 month later...

Well, we're opening on Friday, tech starts tomorrow on the first show...

If any of you are in London over the next month I can highly recommend coming to see one of the four shows at the Soho Theatre (Tory Boyz, Eating Ice Cream on Gaza Beach and Out of Me in rep, with Sick Room in the Soho Studio).

http://www.sohotheatre.com/

Yeah Tory Boyz went up without a hitch, though the projector shutter fell over on Saturday, prompting some last minute (literally, we delayed the house opening) improvisation (projector shutter is now a scroller on a scaff drop in front of the projector).

Wireless dimming, working so far though I'm expecting it to go horribly wrong on at least one night.

Out of Me was meant to start teching on Saturday, but plotting over ran so that won't start until tomorrow (today!) now, but should still be on track to open on Tuesday.

All in all I'm having a moderately good time (13 hour days 6 days a week is doing me in a bit though).

Thats nowt compared to what I did last year.

A couple of us on a few days ended up doing a short rep, a main and then going across to the east end afterwards to load in the tour, and then the out on the tour, going back to halls, getting up early to load the van for T.O.L, rig tower of london, and then go back over to do the evening show at Soho

Archived