New LED technology

rogersheep

Hi

I was speaking with a friend over the weekend who had been to Frankfurt and had visited the tradeshow last week and he was telling me about a new LED technology which was previewed there, but he doesn't remember much apart from he thinks it is a Laser reactive LED and requires no cables. This sounds very interesting - does anyone here know anything about it.

Roger

Guest lightnix
Sadly not, but I'd love to find out more about it. Can he remember anything at all ? Even the name of the company would help. I'll ask around and see what comes up.

Guest lightnix

I had a little ask around and got the following answer...

It seems that it is possible to use an LED as a kind of "solar" cell which can be stimulated by a laser to produce a small amount of power, which can then be used to drive a second LED.

Click here for the link I was given that describes the process in more detail. In fact, Sam's Laser FAQ makes for some interesting reading, whether you are into lasers or not.

The process described in the first link is undoubtedly inefficient and expensive in that form, but may contain a germ of an idea which could be commercially exploited, using the latest advances and materials in laser and LED technology.

The fact that I've been able to find no Google references at all to what you describe, means that it may be something in the early stages of development, possibly a prototype which needs further investment and development before it can be produced en masse.

Point your friend at these links and see if they stimulate any memories. If he could at least come up with the name of the exhibitor who was displaying this device, that will aid further searching.

Fascinating stuff - thanks :(

Archived