Marking Up Hard Hats Safely

John Diamond

I found the following on an American construction company website: www.bullard.com/Industrial/faq/stickers.shtml

Using Stickers on Hard Hats and Other Markings on the Shell

The use of self-adhesive stickers by individual users to "personalize" their hard hats or for other marking or identification purposes is a common practice. Because of the type of adhesive used in typical pressure-sensitive stickers, there is very little potential for chemical interaction between the adhesive and the helmet shell, and their use would not be expected to negatively affect the performance of the helmet under normal conditions. Adhesive stickers should be placed at least ¾" away from the edge of the helmet, and the area of the helmet covered in this way should be kept to a practical minimum to permit regular inspection of the helmet shell for signs of damage from use or aging. If any surface cracks, however small, should appear on the shell surface, either in the vicinity of the stickers or elsewhere, the helmet should be removed from service and replaced immediately.

The practice of engraving identification data on the underside of the brim of the helmet will not adversely affect the helmet's performance; however, this engraving must be restricted to the brim only. Any engraving or modification of the helmet shell material in the crown area above the intersection between the crown and brim, or in the vicinity of the suspension key sockets, may result in failure of the helmet to provide protection in an impact, and could result in injury or death.

The best practice is always to use the helmet as it was received from the manufacturer, or to consult the manufacturer before making any product modifications.

I have been told in the past that using a Sharpie to mark up hard hats can weaken and damage a hard hat. This has been more assumption than fact and I am just wanting to find out if anyone has had any official opinion on the use of sharpies for marking up hard hats for identification purposes.

European standards don't specify materials for the manufacture of hard hats so I can only really comment on the ones I have to hand. All these are made from polyethylene AKA polythene, the plastic bag stuff. In hard hats the polythene is high density non-cross-linked which although not quite as chemically resistant as cross-linked still won't be damaged by most common solvents. I would avoid pouring concentrated acids on them but a bit of ink wouldn't bother me and indeed my hard hat contains both ink and stickers. That said I'm no expert and this is just my personal opinion.

If you really want something 'official' I seem to recall the BMC doing a few tests with mountaineering helmets although I could be mistaken, it might be worth giving them a ring to see if any of their work's applicable here.

It's also worth mentioning that by not following manufacturers instructions you may be falling fowl of health and safety guidelines or regulations.

I think someone linked to covers available for helmets a while back, probably designed for the riding variety. Anyway I'd imagine using those, but removing and checking for damage on a regular basis/before each usage, would cover you pretty effectively regarding following manufacturers instructions, while still allowing you to customise or label it.

Equally you could perhaps look at IDing some of the internal support bits that make it fit your head, I'd imagine they are less safety critical, especially the end of the circumference adjustment bit. YMMV, IANAL etc.

• 4 weeks later...

The only way to be sure is to ask the manufacturer, not an internet forum.

Most manufacturers say 'don't', for several reasons.

Stickers can obscure defects, inks and adhesives may affect polymers (whatever they are).

It's safety equipment, don't **** about with it.

A small paper name tag can be attached to the inside of a helmet cradle as a loop with sellotape so it never contacts the fabric or shell material.

Archived