Behringer MX8000A

willpower

Hi All,

I have recently bought a Behringer MX8000A, and was wondering what your opinions on it were. I like it as a whole, but there are a few little annoying things that are making me question it a bit, such as the gooseneck lamp sockets being exactly under the meter bridge so they either block one of the channel meters, or go round and over the top, thereby seriously reducing the length of gooseneck available. Also, with the meter bridge at some angles you cannot plug jack leads in. If you turn up the main mix too much, you get a slight hum over the speakers (I'm using Mackie SRM450 speakers, so nothing wrong there). The mixer is second hand, bought from a shop that has "just had it reconditioned", and it cost just under £400. One of the BNC connectors for the goosenecks has just stopped working, and the fader for one of the channels moves about a little too much...

Was it a good deal? Should I invest in something different? I'm looking for a real multi-purpose mixer. I do a lot of work in sound, video and lighting, and am going to be a school theatre technician next year. I regularly sound engineer bands (ranging from blues brothers style bands to big bands) and productions, particularly pantos and musicals which require bands being miked and radio mics etc, I record a great deal for video and sound recordings, I do a little DJing from time to time. I am looking for a good all round mixer really - preferably with mute LEDs, 100mm faders, built in effects (the MX8000A doesn't have this), gooseneck lamp connections, sub outs (4 to 8), auxes (4-6) and between 16 and 24 channels.

Many thanks in advance,

Will

I had one for quite a while, and it took abuse fairly well (the accidental kind). Common faults, from both my own one and others, are that channels either go down, or go down, but suddenly come to life when you raise the fader to full - kind of scary when it happens. when used live they have some issues with the ribbon cables that link the boards. Despite the sticky gunge they seal these with, they still fall off - but easily fixed.

I have to say I'm not one of the knock Behringer brigade, and found it a nice desk to use. I sold it for more than you paid, so you do get a fair bit of desk for your money - especially with the meter bridge. Sonically, there are better products, as there are more reliable ones (be careful of the plastic power supply connector) - but as a starting out desk, they are fine. They are robably much better for recording, than live music, as many features afre designed to be used in a home recording studio - so some buttons do have a destructive effect on the mix - as in pushing it during the gig gives a stony silence. These buttons are best covered!

Snipped.....just quoting the main points.

I do a lot of work in sound, video and lighting, and am going to be a school theatre technician next year. I regularly sound engineer bands (ranging from blues brothers style bands to big bands) and productions, particularly pantos and musicals which require bands being miked and radio mics etc, I record a great deal for video and sound recordings, I do a little DJing from time to time. I am looking for a good all round mixer really - preferably with mute LEDs, 100mm faders, built in effects (the MX8000A doesn't have this), gooseneck lamp connections, sub outs (4 to 8), auxes (4-6) and between 16 and 24 channels.

The Allen & Heath Zed range may be worth a look, and will give some of the features you're looking for....100mm faders, illuminated channel mutes and Fx section on some models. It does however subgroups, however there are other features you may find useful, from what you stated above, such as the USB (and bundled Sonar Le) for your recordings.......and 4 stereo channels which may be useful on the Dj side of things.

http://www.allen-heath.com/zed/zed-24.asp

I've never used one, so can't really comment there, other than I use other Allen & Heath products, and find them excellent.

The 20 channel (16mono 4stereo no fx) is around the £ 500 mark new.

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Allen-~ID~8411.asp

Archived