snake

gillian

hi there I was wondering if anyone have done the life of stuff by simon donaldson and if so how did you get around the snake that is on stage for the 1st three minutes of the show. were doing it at RSAMD next term im SM and my director wants to use a real snake and we have tried to source snakes from animal in entertainment companies but its going to cost between £1500 to £4000 and my budget is £100!

does anyone know the licensing law for having snakes in theatres? especially drama schools?

thanks Gillian

No idea about snakes, but when I looked into having a lamb in our foyer for a show, I came up against the "Performing Animals Act (1925!)", which would have required us to obtain a licence from our local authority's environmental health team. We would also have needed to pay for a vet appointed by them to inspect our premises. Don't know if Scotland has different legislation, though...

My drama teacher at school was called Simon Donaldson, did/does he work at a school in Romsey, Hampshire?

As to the snake, would you consider a representation? I have seen a very effective trick of connecting 4 radio controled motors with a X on the spindle together, and wagling the controls very fast. As they are linked, they waggle and it looked very realistic, not so at very close range mind. :P

Any one know what I am trying to say here!?

Not sure about the legalities, but I seem to remember the National used a real snake (and lost it!) for their production of Anthony & Cleopatra a few years ago - obviously, theirs won't have been a budget snake, but they should be able to help you with any licence requirements.

thanks ill give them a call. we are having a prop snake made and their putting a bicycle chain in the top half of it so it moves like a real snake its being done in the round so it needs to look or be real!!!

gillian

Archived