Strand to reintroduce Patt 743 & 243 fresnels

Guest lightnix

Guest lightnix

Strand Lighting has announced that they are to reintroduce updated versions of their classic Pattern 743 and 243 fresnel lanterns later this year. The new versions will be identical to the old lanterns in appearance and will accept existing barndoors and colour frames, but will incorporate modern innovations such as dichroic reflectors and high quality lenses to maximise output. They will also be capable of taking 1200W and 2500W lamps.

A spokesman for Strand, Mr. Olaf Liprol, explaining the reasoning behind this decision said, “Many people within the Strand organisation and the broader stage lighting industry regard these luminaires as examples of a “golden age†in luminaire design, which is still to be surpassed despite advances in materials and optical technology. The sheer number of these units still in regular use around the world, three decades since the last production run supports this view, along with continued high demand for spare parts and accessories. The company feels that the time is ripe for their resurrection.â€

Mr. Liprol declined to be drawn on rumours that other Strand classics, such as the Patt 23 and Patt 123 are set for reintroduction in 2005, but did not completely rule out the possibility either, adding somewhat cryptically that, “There is much within the Strand heritage which could be revisited and the reintroduction of these units will help determine how viable this may or may not be.â€

Olaf Liprol? I'm sure I've heard that name somewhere...

Swedish LD, made his name Lighting Abba tours in the 70s, before turning to R&D work for major manufacturers. Strand's Pirouette was named in honour of the moving light prototype he developed for the "Dancing Queen" video. They did a piece about him on the back page of L&SI a while back.

Swedish LD, made his name Lighting Abba tours in the 70s, before turning to R&D work for major manufacturers. Strand's Pirouette was named in honour of the moving light prototype he developed for the "Dancing Queen" video. They did a piece about him on the back page of L&SI a while back.

Oh that was it, I knew I'd heard the name somewhere...

it's after midday so maybe I won't get laughed out of court, but.....I'd quite like to see this happen. I haven't really come across fresnels that do what a 743 does in terms of beam spread, and they are pretty robust. I'm definitely going to get our old ones refurbished for our new building.

if on the off chance that it is true, great - it will give me a reason to use them more as a frontline item as opposed to the dregs that are left till last - this is only from the lack of spares and number of them in the area.

not least of which, they look far nicer than most lamps out there.

:P

:P

I haven't really come across fresnels that do what a 743 does in terms of beam spread, and they are pretty robust.

Selecon demonstrated some which they claim can out perform the 743 however I remained sceptical as they didn't bring a 743 to compare it with and a lot of the problems they stated, such as stiff movement of the lamp holder, would not be present with a new 743.

I quite actually like the stiff lamptray as it means when you want to make the smallest of adjustments the tray doesn't slam down to the lens when on a nice steep angle, ala Cantata or Quartet F!

I think we can all agree that the Patt743 is a classic, and I would love to see a 21st century model...

So, if you can have some input into the design of a new 743 what would you like to see?

My starter for 10 is to keep the exisiting lamp tray / focus runners & 8" lens (lotsa light!) as a definite must... Ability to put in T29s a bonus

Stu

Archived