Drums

Andy!

Edited:

what exactly are you doing? live? if so I use BETA52, for bass. always been reliable and accurate pickup.

then, it depends how big the kit is, whats being played etc. I have used Sennheiser condensers to do the rest of the kit with very good results. depends on the size of the PA/venue, and of course your budget. Sennheiser do some clip-ons dedicated to tom-toms. check on 10 out of 10 productions I think they have a good listing of sennheiser mics.

Witch are the best mics to use. When rigging them on to a drum kit. What are those small clip on ones called?

Is this for live or recording,

Where is the kit

How is it being played

What is your PA

Where and what are the vocal mics

What is the stage layout

What is your budget?

How long do you have to rig it?

What SPL are you going to have on stage

What style of drumming is going to be played

How big is the kit

What indervidual feeds are needed elsewhere on stage in other people's mixes.

Just a couple of questions.

James

Witch are the best mics to use.

You'll need to reply to James's questions to get a decent answer. For what it's worth, I quite like the Beta 91 on kick, SM57 on snare and a pair of SM81s on overhead duty. I'm also partial to the AT4033 on overheads but these aren't always useful in live situations if monitoring levels are high.

senheisser E604 clip on for toms, snare sometimes ( or shure 57) and the trusty C451/ck1 on hi-hat

I agree however I tend to use two mics on the snare, one above and one below, and as long as you remember to change the polarity (phase?!) of one of them it will enable you to get a more realistic sound with less eq.

Of course this isn't always suitable for every situation.

Edited:

what exactly are you doing? live? if so I use BETA52, for bass. always been reliable and accurate pickup.

then, it depends how big the kit is, whats being played etc. I have used Sennheiser condensers to do the rest of the kit with very good results. depends on the size of the PA/venue, and of course your budget. Sennheiser do some clip-ons dedicated to tom-toms. check on 10 out of 10 productions I think they have a good listing of sennheiser mics.

Well I just wanted to know really for general knowledge. I will most proberly need it in the future.

Greetings,

I have just bought a Audio technica AE2500 Dual capsule microphone. It has both a dynamic and condenser head. I use it on the kick drum, It gives you both the click and the thud of the drum and sounds great on most styles of music.

Fleeting

It's very easy to go ott with drums.

I use D112 (kick)

421 (toms)

sm57 (sn)

ck61 (hh + oh)

however I try and get away with as few as possible generaly.

James

senheisser E604 clip on for toms, snare sometimes ( or shure 57) and the trusty C451/ck1 on hi-hat

I agree however I tend to use two mics on the snare, one above and one below, and as long as you remember to change the polarity (phase?!) of one of them it will enable you to get a more realistic sound with less eq.

Of course this isn't always suitable for every situation.

I agree, that made a great sound for me, also, I had two bass drums mics on too, one right in the drum, and one just outside sounds great!

Jim :** laughs out loud **:

Probably a good starting point might be to get hold of either the Shure or AKG drum mic sets which will give you everything you a full set of mics to mic ur kit up. As far as toms are concerned you've got a few options if it's only tom mics ur looking for....

Shure SM98 - These are great, a little pricey and some people dont find the gooseneck quite flexible enough but I love em!

Sennheiser E604 (about £100 each) - These are reasonably good but a little on the chunky side so your drummer may have to practice not hitting them! They also come with clips to mount on the tom itself, but can often be a little tricky on certain kits

AKGC418 (about £100 each) I havent actually used any of these, but they should be reasonably good AKG are a reputable brand

Shure Beta 56 (about £170) - Again on the chunky side so some drummer training may be needed, I've never used one so unable to comment!

Shure PG56 - A cheaper version of the Beta 56

well that's a starting point! you might want to check out the rycote microphone data CD, most useful...

http://www.shure.com/

http://www.akg.com/

http://www.sennheiser.com/

I generally use the following, (in order of preference)

Kick - Audix D6, Shure Beta91, Shure Beta52 ( I try to stay away from D112's as I dislike there sound)

Snare Top and bottom - SM57,Audix D1 Beta 56, Beta 57

Toms - Audix D2(Toms) & D4 (floor toms), Sennheiser MD421, Shure Beta98 Sennheiser E604

Hats - AKG 451 with ck1 Capsule

If your on a budget id go for SM57's snare and toms or E604's for toms and then a beta 52 on kick as this is much the better beast for price altho I have used the PG range kick drum mic and was pleasantly suprised. For overheads the audio technica PRO37r's are good for there price.

re: the 604's. Always a little dodgy on the narrow rim premier kits, although once stretched on, they usually stay there!

For full on stuff, I've got used to KSM27's as o/hs - seem to work well, and are quite discrete visually for larger mics - concur with 112 for kick. I must say that for lighter style drumming I prefer kick, snare o/h - this always seems to give a nice balanced sound that will blend.

I once did a Batchelors show - two old pros, with a 17 yr old drummer. The rider said every drum needed a specific mic - full rock style. I put up 3 (as above) and it sounded great. They weren't happy, so I put in everything they had asked for. Most of the show was two guitars, gentle picking and strumming, and in reality the drums just needed lifting a little. For pretty well all of it the drummer played oom-ta-ta, oom-ta-ta. They were sound 'experts' and constantly interfered. In the end I invited them to eq and set some levels. excrutiatingly loud and very inappropriate from what I remember of their music. I got loads of complaints over volume - which they had told me was the minimum they wanted!

Hi All,

The other trick I play occasionally is to put an aural exciter with big bottom on the insert of the kick mic, or just a bass expander if you like,

If the band playing want that dance / hip hop style of bass beat from the kick it can just help that little bit, a cheat I know but if you are short of time and with several bands that is often the case, it can really help.

Mk

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Andy... Please ignore the fussy rantings of some of the other posters here. In answer to your question, the clip on mics you are after are the 604's.

I find that they do any drum kit justice, regardless of the style of music being played, or the size of the venue. At the end of the day, drums sound like drums, whether they are being played in a small pub or at a festival.

All the best. Clown.

Archived