Homemade Fireworks

AndyJones

Hello All,

Firstly lets start by saying that I am simply asking. I'm not about to go out and blow myself or others up or make any attempts to make any thing explosive. HOWEVER I came across this american site.

I was wondering a) on the legalities on importing stuff from them. and b) Whether you are allowed to make fireworks yourself in the UK? It appears that in the USA you are allowed to make them as long as they are for your own personal use (at least that's what it says on the website.)

It's something that I have always been interested in and I'm tempted to at least buy some books on the subject.

thoughts from people alot wiser and more knowledgeable in this area?

many thanks

AndyJones

As far as I'm aware the only individual person in the UK with a suitable license for making fireworks is Rev. Ron Lancaster.

He came to my school on the recent anniversary of Guy Fawkes' deeds and told us lots of important things about firework making. However, I'm pretty sure you can't get one in the uk too easily. And you definitely need one!

Charlie

About 2 years ago I really got into the whole firework making thing. I researched it for ages and the law is not really clear because although there is no law that says you must not make stuff the explodes, you can't use certain chemicals, and loads of other rules. As long as you use common sense you ill probably be ok.

Start off by searching for different mixtures. I had a huge word document I made with loads of good ones which I tested that work.

Black powder is good to start with. Very simple, easy to get hold of ingredients. Just be careful and that pyrosociety website is useful if you have any questions.

Have fun! My favourites were black powder rockets, fountains and small bangers. ALl very simple.

Archived