Denon T620 Pro CD/Cassette Deck

Pete Alcock

I have a Denon T620 and the CD transport is knackered. It's going in the bin, but I thought I'd just see if anyone wants any bits for spares. Cassette bit works fine. Main board, PSU and XLR in/out PCBs fine also. No charge other than postage.

Cheers,

Pete.

A nice offer Pete.

I have a Sony top of the range double tape deck, I paid around £200 for it and have used it maybe twice.

We, (as a live duo) my wife and myself had it in mind to sell studio recorded tapes to members of the audience, very shortly afterwards consumer recordable cd's became available. Hence tapes became obselete overnight.

I used the tape deck to copy the master.

Are tape decks of use to anyone anymore?

It's a shame that so many decent tape decks out there are probably gathering dust.

Anyone still using these? dats, digital tape don't count!

John Denim.

It's a shame that so many decent tape decks out there are probably gathering dust.

Anyone still using these?

Not directly in our industry, but my dad is involved with EU wide standards creation, I think the company he works for deals with actually creating the technical document or something, anyway they have committees where people from different countries have to agree on what goes in the standard. A while ago he asked me (and I still need to look into it actually) about how to ensure good quality recordings/improve the quality. It turns out all the hotels where they hold the committees still have PA/conference systems which record onto cassette tape. I think they then copy them onto CD possibly, or it may be they just duplicate the tape, anyway they have to be distributed to each group there. It seems daft to me they don't record it as an MP3 or similar and host it, but obviously he can't just turn up and plug in or anything. So in a rambling answer yes they are still used, although perhaps not so widely/for high quality recordings.

I can't remember the last time I recorded anything onto cassette tape. I do occasionally get asked to get old recordings from tape to CD so I keep a reasonable quality machine for this.

Anyone still using these? dats, digital tape don't count!

I had someone ask me for some cassette copies last year - he wanted that old analogue sound. Before that I don't think I'd done any cassette copies for 5 years or more. Fortunately he only wanted 20 so I managed to dig out enough machines to do it in a reasonable time.

Apart from that, the only time I use cassettes is to copy old ones to CD.

Cheers

James.

There's a local talking newspaper for the blind that was using cassettes as recently as a couple of years ago, as they're more reliable than CD copies and they could reuse the tapes. I think they've changed over now though, with tapes being much harder to get a hold of.

I remember reading a few months ago that Currys have stopped selling cassette tapes due to lack of demand. Also, my 90-yr old grandmother now has a CD player, because her local library no longer lends out cassettes. If even people like her are giving up on tape, it's clear that it's obsolete.

There's a local talking newspaper for the blind that was using cassettes as recently as a couple of years ago, as they're more reliable than CD copies and they could reuse the tapes. I think they've changed over now though, with tapes being much harder to get a hold of.

The Kent Talking Newspaper for the blind still does use cassette. Not sure what the reasons for this are though as I wouldn't think many people have cassette players available these days.

Funnily enough, I have just had to use cassette for the first time in a long time this week. The MD of a local musical had recorded the music for rehearsal onto cassette, but the company needed it on a CD. It's just a shame some of it was so distorted. I guess the recorder he used didn't have meters on it.

Archived