Allen & Heath

Ollie80

Hello Chaps,

First post on here so hello to all! :P

We run an Allen & Heath GL4800 sound desk. For some reason I cannot get the goose neck lamps to work. I have tested the bulbs - all ok, I have tested the 4pin XLR coming from the desk, there is voltage there. Is there a secret switch??? I have checked to see if there is a switch but no luck

Some advise would be great!

Ollie

Firstly you need to check whether the light is an LED Version, if so and it's not manufactured by A&H it's probably wired the wrong way round, you need to check your manual for the pinouts and open the plug on the gooseneck to check the orientation, LED's only pass current one way because they are diodes.

If your light is a tungsten version and you have current at the mixer's socket then you may have a blown lamp or a faulty light, easy to check with a meter.

if you can't get it working and want some low cost replacements you can buy a 4 pin XLR mounted gooseneck from Overt who are in Calne, Wiltshire. The only problem I had with these was that the XLR socket on the mixer needs to be rotated 180 degrees (very easy job) and they work fine, nice bright LEDs too!

On the 4 pin XLR connectors used on Allen & Heath mixers the following convention is used:

Pin 1 and Pin 3: +ve 12vDC

Pin 4: 0v

Obviously for filament lamps polarity is not important - this also does not matter for most makes of LED lamps, as they have a bridge rectifer built in. Clever eh?

The LED lamps supplied by A&H are quite nice as they have a brightness control on each one - this can be useful in certain situations.

I have checked the bulbs and they are ok.
Did you just check the lamp, or did you use the multimeter between the pins of the XLR. If only the former, it would be worth doing the latter, it may be a wire has come loose in the XLR or at the other end or something.

Thanks guys for all your posts. I have a bit of time today so I will have a play. A colleague of mine checked with a multimeter and all seemed ok with the pin outs but as you have advised to do this I will check again.

All ther best, Ollie

Archived