Budget active subs

Feed me AV

..... to run along side my Mackie SRM350's Any ideas. Not looking to blow my bank account apart but in need of a good pair of subs to use ever so often with my Mackies. I know Makie do a set for the SRM range but I've not heard any good comments about them so your input would be useful.

Cheers

Mickey.

I've used our mackie SWA 1501 sub /srm 450 top rig quite a lot, and have also heard a single 1801 being used with a similar rig. The subs sound fine. The 15's sound like 15s so they're not going to go as low as a set of B2s but I find them reasonably punchy and very well constructed/reliable. Certainly can't think of anything active in a similar pricerange I've actually heard which will do better, but you could consider the EM 12" if you want a really compact, high output sub solution to go with your little speakers.

Hth,

M

I agree with Matt.

The Mackie subs sound fab with the SRM 350's, and around £400 each they are not bad priced either. (for a powered cab)

Another reason I would go for the 1501's is that they will look the part, and also be balanced with the tops.

John Denim.

Yer the 1501's are nice little subs, we have 8 of them up here at slx. There big brothers however, the 18" versions are one of the most rediculously heavy 18" subs I have every came across mind. There built like a brick sh1t house but I would fancie being the one unloading 4 of them from a van every night, and then putting them back in again!

However if I was you I would look at the RCF Art 15" sub, same idea as the mackie but much nicer sounding in my opinion, and its 2bd lighter whilst still being 3kg lighter. And acording to sounds live there cheaper than the mackies aswell.

RCF ART705AS

Mackie SWA1501

I have used 4 Mackie 1801's, very nice subs give a great punch for kick drums, plus they arnt much expensive compared to the link for the 1501's above, 1801's priced around £800. But on the downside they are now made in china

the 1801z, and have heard bad reports about the manufacture and problems goin wrong with them, so maybe try to pick up some 2nd hand 1801's made in USA, and they will be cheaper for you! They have got a gain control on the subs individually so there is no need to worry about the bass overpowering the tops, and is ideal if you are to expand your rig in the future because you have powerful subs

Sounds alive must either be massaging the truth a little or think we are fools!

The first google search I came across came up with the 1501's @ £399.

http://www.pegasussl.co.uk/mackieswa150115...0w-p-12574.html

A very big difference in price here.

This kind of thing always makes me shake my head, to someone wanting some of these Mackie subs who had no idea would probably pay this,

Having thought that was the price everywhere.

Audio retailers always try to take the p*ss, unless you explain that you know what you are talking about.

John Denim.

Note to add, looking again Pegasus say the are not in stock again until june 2016!

A misprint me thinks/hopes!

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Edit: Ignore that link, the ad says for some reason, "not for sale".

Why advertise it then?

Our german friends have them for £595.

Sounds alive must either be massaging the truth a little or think we are fools!

Sounds LIVE are a very large and widly respected sound retail company, not people who just take us for mugs.

Our german friends have them for £595.

So its an extra £150 for the advantage of UK based support? Yes thomann are very good but theres only a certain amount you can do when your in a different country. Fair enough it might not be worth you paying an extra £300 if your just using them for personal use, but if your buying them to hire out ect.

I have used 4 Mackie 1801's, very nice subs give a great punch for kick drums, plus they arnt much expensive compared to the link for the 1501's above, 1801's priced around £800. But on the downside they are now made in china

Yes but they a 2 man lift there that heavy! I hate the bloody things and I can wheel them round a smooth warehouse floor on a sack wagon, you carnt do that on a field! They are very nice sounding subs but there are so many dissadvantages to them there just not worth it.

Rich

But the Mackie and RCF 15s are really a 2 man lift as well, being reasonably big boxes that weigh 40 odd kilos, I've got a couple of the RCF subs and they definately hurt to lift on your own.

..... to run along side my Mackie SRM350's Any ideas. Not looking to blow my bank account apart but in need of a good pair of subs to use ever so often with my Mackies. I know Makie do a set for the SRM range but I've not heard any good comments about them so your input would be useful.

Cheers

Mickey.

You should try the Studio Spares Fortissimo 15inch Actives for £229 inc vat.

http://www.studiospares.com/pd_248270_STU%...ve%20single.htm

AKA Carlsbro Gamma series available for at least £120 each extra!!

These ones although are cheap seriously kick!!!

They do a lot more you'd think they do!

But the Mackie and RCF 15s are really a 2 man lift as well, being reasonably big boxes that weigh 40 odd kilos, I've got a couple of the RCF subs and they definately hurt to lift on your own.

Yes but it is possible. Its a well known fact that the 1801's are a seriously heavy sub! Have a search on here as there are a few comments on them, infact I belive rob beech made a comment about how heavy they are, and no-one will dispute his knowlege!

Rich

the 1801s are heavey fair enough but at the end of the day it only takes two men to put them in the back of the van, they have wheels, then you look at higher end subs such as turbosound d&b and these are even heavier

I will second the studiospares active 15" bins

they go down very low

wouldnt test them on a meter but for the price/size

they are very well made and sound great

they give you a top hat pole mount as well for you srm's

bargin

Cliveybaby

the 1801s are heavey fair enough but at the end of the day it only takes two men to put them in the back of the van, they have wheels, then you look at higher end subs such as turbosound d&b and these are even heavier

Yes but there are designed to be compact, portable subs, not touring gear like the turbos and D&B, which put out twice the spl anyway.

Rich

Sounds Live must either be massaging the truth a little or think we are fools!

Sounds Live are a very large and widly respected sound retail company, not people who just take us for mugs.

Sounds Live are a company I have purchased many thousands of pounds of equipment from, including the 4x 1801's TurboLight mentions. Their service, and usually their prices are second to not many in the UK. I must admit, I'm a bit wary of the prices of the 1501, and the 1801 on their website, it maybe a typo. I'll give them a call om Monday, and try to get the prices clarified..

If anyone wants a price quote, contact the PA department and speak to John (he's a director of the company).

The shop number is 0191 230 3422. Query the internet price.

I should get a commission off them for this post :huh:

Archived