+4dBu balanced line level to UNBALANCED mic level for a camcorder

Dan Gruner

I have a client that needs to connect an aux send out of a small desk into a "domestic" camcorder's mic input. The output of the desk operates at +4dBu balanced 150 Ohm and the input of the camcorder is mic level, unbalanced on a horrible 3.5mm jack socket.

It looks like this little unit from Canford HERE will do the job - its a 60 dB balanced attenuator. I assume the attenuator will not mind operating into an unbalanced input, or should I just leave pin 3 floating (not sure on these passive units)? I shall make up a short cable to take the attenuator's output to both channels on the camcorder's stereo 3.5mm mic socket.

I should be able to deal with a simple thing like this myself, but any pointers from people will be gratefully received!

Dan

The mic input may have a polarising DC voltage on it, for use with cheap camcorder mics. Your little desk may object to this being present on its output (though shouldn't).

Might be worth chucking a DC blocking capacitor in there just to be safe.

Archived