Getting employed in the industry

raj

im currently employed in IT but run a large DJ Roadshow part time. Im DESPERATELY trying to get into the lighting design/PA industry but cant seem to get my foot in anywhere.

Ive applied to several PA/Hire/repair companies but none of them offer a serous wage that a person could live off!

Any suggestions?

but none of them offer a serous wage that a person could live off!

Yup, thats this business all over!

But seriously, try giving Training and Qualifications a good old read - there is a shedload of information in that part of the forum that should help.

Stu

ideally what id like to do is work as a lighting technician/engineer and runing the lighting at shows, theatre adn the like. I take it there is no formal qualifications for this? Do you know sites that publish jobs of this nature?

Well over in T&Qs, there is this thread which has opened up a good old debate off late.

Basically you have two options:

A) Go to Uni and get a degree of somesort (be it as a Lighting Designer / or one more geared to the Technician side of things)

B) Find some cassie work at a local theatre and work your way up.

As for sites which publish job adverts, then The Stage is the one you want. Only problem is it advertising mostly full time jobs which normally require 2+ yrs of professional experience.

HTH

Stu

What do you mean by lighting clearances? Do you mean equipment for sale at cheap prices, in which case you are better off checking the websites of the hire companies, like Stage Electrics, White Light and AC Lighting for 2nd hand stuff.

A) Go to Uni and get a degree of somesort (be it as a Lighting Designer / or one more geared to the Technician side of things)

Stu,

Please refer to other post about "DO I need a degree to work in theatre"!!!! grrrrr........

This fellow probably has a degree in IT already?? If so, why would he need another one.

10outof10 are looking for a person to start sometime soon to join a small team working in lighting and sound. We do not want any "wannabee" lighting designers however (have enough of them working here already :D )

I would interested to here what other firms were quoting as starting salaries

what sort of things will your position involve? ie installations? engineering? programming?

In terms of experience, I have been doing my own thing since 1996 so know my products inside out but would love to progress in this field.

I suppose you could call me a 'wannabe' but then who isnt..?!

Oh, And yes you are right, I do have a degree in web development and am a freelance developer. Should your site need a face lift...

Stu,

Please refer to other post about "DO I need a degree to work in theatre"!!!! grrrrr........

This fellow probably has a degree in IT already?? If so, why would he need another one.

Sorry Paul, this didn't come to mind when I linked to the post - just thought it might have been useful reading! :D

Stu

Guest lightnix

Another way forward (which allows you to earn a little money instead of running up huge student debts) might be to contact local crewing companies such as Stage Miracles, Showforce or Affinity Crew. The hours are long and the pay is poor, but it will give you a good grounding in how shows work and may help make contacts further up the ladder. If you are already DJing, it might be an idea to get hold of some party organisers like Banana Split or Fisher Productions, who use technical crews and may be able to offer you new work in a more familiar environment. Invest in a copy of The White Book, which contains the address of just about every lighting, sound and AV company in the known universe. Well, in the UK anyway.

Good luck and stay in touch :D

If you want to get into the gigging/live side of things more than the theatre side, then you may be able to find one or two hire companies who use freelance crew. Badger them to take you ok as a rigger/crew/driver type- be open and let them know that you want a foot in the door, that you have basic knowledge, and they may take you on a gig or two. Then from there you may be able to pick up more work and become more competent with the equipment.

Good Luck

Little DJ

Guest lightnix

It's highly unlikely that any hire company will allow you out on gigs straight away as anything more than a follow spot operator or load out crew. Be prepared to spend a fair bit of time in the warehouse first, sweeping floors, cleaning cable and loading trucks. You might do yourself a favour if you acquired a skill like fork lift driving. Training is quick and not usually too dear.

EDIT: Wha-heeeey... my 500th post ! :D ;) :D

I agree, find a suitable hire company, send them your CV, follow that up with a few phone calls and with any luck they'll get you out on a job. One thing you should look into if you haven't already is getting public liability insurance and self employed status with the tax office. Many hire and production comanies do not employ freelancers without proof of these two things.

Good Luck!

Guest lightnix
...One thing you should look into if you haven't already is getting public liability insurance and self employed status with the tax office. Many hire and production comanies do not employ freelancers without proof of these two things.

Very true, don't forget to engage the services of an accountant as well. They may look expensive on paper, but they are worth every penny and will save you more than they cost you.

Archived