Automating mutes on a manual desk?

lawsonpd

Hi

A quick question for the experts out there..and sorry if there is an obvious answer as I have recently moved from Lighting (20 years) to Sound.

(Think Amdram - One week run- zero to low budget )

The director is keen to use radio mikes for the whole cast (about 15) and there is the danger of off stage comments being sent over the PA. Consequently I would like to be able to control the mutes programmatically via Midi using SoundCueSystem as I am familiar with this software.

However the venue that I will be working in has a Allen & Heath GL2200 (No Midi).

Is there a bolt on that can be added (cheaply) to the existing mixer to allow Midi controlled mutes or is an alternative desk the only option?

I also have access to a BOTEX ME-72 MULTI EXCHANGER if that helps.

I welcome your suggestions...

Regards

Peter

There will be no effective way to add mute automation to a desk not built for it in the first place.

How ever, I have to say that 15 radios is far from a huge number and, with a well marked script, I can't see any big problem doing the show manually--certainly I've often done shows with 25+ mics and no automation. Frankly, I wouldn't be using mute buttons--I run the faders up and down because I feel this gives a smoother transition and is more forgiving in case an actor starts early or something. It also gives (at least for me) a better visual cue as to what's open and what's not.

Bob

I'm currently doing a show with 14; there are occasions when automation would be useful but it's certainly not essential. Judicious use of mute groups (if available) and audio groups can help a little.

One idea I've thought about but not implemented is as follows: I've got an LA Audio multigate (16 channel gate that can be controlled by midi). Insert all the gates in to the mic channels and you could then open & close any gates whenever necessary via midi. Works fine in theory but I think the programming time would be rather longer than marking up a script properly.

I just did one with 18 mics on a GL2800 - I used 2 of the mutes to kill the radio mics on the mass group exists, just to prevent al lthe chatter (amdram talent seems to think that as soon as they step out of the light no-one can hear them chattering), but then immediately pulled all the muted faders down and unmuted ready for next entries.

One idea I've thought about but not implemented is as follows: I've got an LA Audio multigate (16 channel gate that can be controlled by midi). Insert all the gates in to the mic channels and you could then open & close any gates whenever necessary via midi. Works fine in theory but I think the programming time would be rather longer than marking up a script properly.

I've gone one further and actually done this. It worked really well. Programming didn't take that long (I forget what software I used now - something free).

IIRC you can set fairly long open & close times, which is better than an instant mute on/off.

However as Bob & Shez have said, it was not really needed, and I only did it because it was there & I wanted to experiment.

There were various boxes made in the 80's and 90's which added MIDI controlled muting to any desk with insert points. LA Audio made a couple and Studiomaster made one too. Tracking one down is going to be the hard part though.

Cheers

James.

So would you only use it on a production with 40+ radio mics or something?

To be honest, I'd only use it where there are not enough mute groups to take care of mass (11 or more) exits. You just need to make sure you mark up the script properly so you know what's happening!

The thing is, we talk about productions with "15 or "20+" or "40" radio mics but, in reality you'd never have them all open at once. Even in big group scenes you're opening and closing mics as needed rather than having everything up at once. This means that, even if you have a huge number of mics in total, taken on a scene by scene basis I've never had a show become unmanageable.

If I DO have a scene that needs more than a few open mics, I'll either used mute groups if available, or route the mics needed for that scene to a group so a single fader can pull them down. This is rarely needed though.

This doesn't mean I don't use automation when available (I've been using mainly digital boards or ones with VCAs for the last few years) but it's never been more than a convenience rather than a necessity.

Bob

There were various boxes made in the 80's and 90's which added MIDI controlled muting to any desk with insert points. LA Audio made a couple and Studiomaster made one too. Tracking one down is going to be the hard part though.
I believe Behringer also did one too, as there was one on eBay a few months ago.

Archived