Colour changing sheet

cybergibbons

Hi,

We are currently doing a production of "Sexual Perversity in Chicago" by David Mamet. It's in the round (well, parrallelogram really), and this has introduced some interesting problems. The play is fast moving, with short scenes, and no time for scene changes.

There are 3 bedrooms/apartments in the script. However, we only have room for one bed (which will be on a truck for removal in the last scene). This bed needs to change character to differentiate between the three separate places.

Firstly, we have a funky 3 way colour changing duvet cover . Secondly, there is a rear projection screen above the bed, onto which 3 types windows will be projected (as well as colours to signify time).

However, we don't think this is enough. Here is my idea:

At the side of the bed are two bedside cabinets. Both characterless in shape (smooth MDF boxes). On top of each box is a thick sheet of acrylic. On top of this acrylic is some nicer wood for the top.

By illuminating the back side of the acryclic, it will act as a light guide. By changing the colour of the light, we can then change the colour of the edge of the acrylic, and signify changes in the room.

So, it may or may not be a good idea. Director, producer, and LD think it sounds good. However, as the set designer, I'm not sure.

So, some questions:

How should the acrylic be illuminated? I was thinking bars of LEDs (bicolours or tricolours) which are mounted in a row along the back. Should give nice even illumination. They are small, low power, and low cost. There is a possibility of using the RGB leds, but these are very expensive. Is there a better way? The source, I should imagine, needs to be quite linear. It also needs to be small enough to conceal behind or in the cabinet. Some sort of fibre optics and remote colour changing light source?

What plastic? I don't know which plastics guide light the best. I know acrylic does, but when the surfaces get scratched, the performance drops. That is why I have opted for sandwiching it between wood, to protect it. Other reason being that it hides the adhesive marks holding it on (which would blob and look horrible). This also means I don't have to use something expensive like Lexan.

That's about it for now. I will need to find a supplier of the plastic, experiment to see how it looks (such as polished or frosted sides), work out control.

Any feedback on the idea, implementation, or better ways of doing this would be of great help.

Thanks,

Andrew

Just a thought about this before answering any lighting question........... Do you think if an audience see a bed in the same place on stage, even with different lighting, different colour duvet and different actor sitting on it..... they will assume it is the same bed in the same location? ;)

I think there is enough difference for the audience to perceive it. We don't have much other option, the space is limited, and we needed a certain number of seats. When I get home, I will post a set plan, to show how I am working it.

Also - David, what exactly do they have to hire? There's no answer on the number seeing as it is too late... I'm just interested, or I might have a a confusing conversation.

Thanks for the info.

Andrew

Archived