long distance radio mics and audio links

Stepsound

Thanks for all your help guys PM sent to Will and I've emailed Handheld Audio just hope they get back to me soon.

dbuckley - what’s the audio like sending it over a walkie-talkie and do you have problems with interference as I think there are likely to be a lot of walkie-talkie type coms on site licensed and unlicensed?

matt - thanks for the advice but as Bruce said we can just listen on the radio for cues unless there is a bad delay time? but we might need to have a chat before links which is where the mobile phone comes in (calls & texting).

Sorry I didn't mention this but there is likely to be a PA if we have another base station as we would want to do whole shows from there but this will be about 1km away from the studio playing out what’s coming from the location live on a direct feed (not the FM radio feed) so would this still be a problem?

We would like to be able to have a live reporter or link to another part of the site if at all possible but if this turns out to be too expensive or just unfeasible we'll be taking your advice with the recorded reports with hopefully a new Zoom H4 but if not an MD.

Also as regards to mobile internet (I didn't make it clear) was talking something along the lines of a modem for a laptop: http://www.three.co.uk/personal/products_s...band_/index.omp if you think we could use this?

Anymore help, ideas, thoughts, advice and recommendations welcomed been great help so far!

Cheers

Tom

dbuckley - what’s the audio like sending it over a walkie-talkie and do you have problems with interference as I think there are likely to be a lot of walkie-talkie type coms on site licensed and unlicensed?

"Tolerable" I think I'd say. Using a SM58 is a huge step up from communications mics. Obviously with WTs its bandwidth limited, and you can hear the difference between a "proper" radio mic and the WT mics if you listen on a system with reasonable audio fidelity. Mind you, on the field they use 100V paging horns so there is little difference there. But they use broadcast FM (legal in NZ) to reach outlying relay amplifiers, so you can listen in the car with more fidelity than through the horns! Or at home, for my local show.

In the UK you hire WTs, and you just get a set on their own licenced frequency, and you threaten to break the arms of anyone changing the frequency on their set nearby. Never noticed any interference on this sort of link....

Archived