cloud cxm mixer modules blowing up constantly

lee weathers

help help help......

heres the problem..

in two of my venues I have a cloud cxm mixer, however in one of these venues I have 5 YES 5 modules that have all developed the same fault in the past 6 months!!!

as those of you that have worked with these will know they are pretty bomb proof so am really getting cheesed with this.....

two of the channels are taken up by the dennon df2000 cd player, which the odds of this blowing these is pretty remote as we know...

the other two channels are used by the dj who brings his own laptop, and with pcdj this goes to an external souncard then splits to two of the cloud channels..

the fault that has occured on all these channels is that the right hand side of each channel crackles like mad and peaks constantly when something is plugged into it....

as all us technicians know, according to the dj it is always someone elses fault that this has happened..

I am not convinced and pretty sure of what is causing the problem, I just dont know how it is blowing these channels???!!

any help and / or backup on this highly annoying problem would be greatly recieved

cheers

the other two channels are used by the dj who brings his own laptop, and with pcdj this goes to an external souncard then splits to two of the cloud channels..

the fault that has occured on all these channels is that the right hand side of each channel crackles like mad and peaks constantly when something is plugged into it....

What is the sound card ?

Probably not the cause but :

If it uses mini jacks, is someone is putting a mic input (with a polarising voltage) to your input ?

Maybe plugging something in that has a floating chassis and switch-mode power supply, eg laptop with 2-core mains lead or similar. You can get stray voltages around 120VDC on the line outs of this type of equipment which can zap the mixer inputs if the laptop is plugged into the mixer whilst the laptop's powered up. You can even see a small spark sometimes in low light as the phono's are plugged in under such circumstances. The mini jack tip will be the first thing to contact the socket shell as its inserted, causing the chassis voltage from the shell to flow into the mixer this way..explaining maybe why its always the same channel on the mixer that fails (?).

• 1 month later...

Out of interest, does anyone know if you can still buy replacement CM1/CS1 modules?

Cloud discontinued the CXM a few years ago, without announcement as to why AFAIK, it simply disappreared off their website, which affords no reference to legacy products.

Tony

help help help......

heres the problem..

in two of my venues I have a cloud cxm mixer, however in one of these venues I have 5 YES 5 modules that have all developed the same fault in the past 6 months!!!

as those of you that have worked with these will know they are pretty bomb proof so am really getting cheesed with this.....

two of the channels are taken up by the dennon df2000 cd player, which the odds of this blowing these is pretty remote as we know...

as all us technicians know, according to the dj it is always someone elses fault that this has happened..

I am not convinced and pretty sure of what is causing the problem, I just dont know how it is blowing these channels???!!

any help and / or backup on this highly annoying problem would be greatly recieved

cheers

Yes, KevinE had it spot on. Sounds like this DJ is plugging in a floating appliance into the phono sockets whilst being turned on and the resulting voltage buildup zapping the input stage as soon as the plug meets the socket. This highlights two things: Phono connectors are a terrible design in which the center conductor mates before the ground and so is all double-insulated "floating" equipment.

I suggest you replace the module again and put in place a strict policy of making connections ONLY when you are present. I think you will quickly find out if this is indeed the cause of your problems.

It may also be possible to look at putting some input protection circuitry in place to "zap" any high-voltage spikes.

Dan

Archived