Research into Live Events Wages

Dj Dunc

Hi all

Currently finishing up a module of my BTEC ND Music Technology module, (Music Industry). The Grading Criteria says : In a final section, analyze and discuss the different ways in which the four job roles you have identified get paid (include all income and potential royalties) from working in the music industry.

I am seeking the going rate of pay, for a live events engineer, particularly Technical Manager, FOH Engineer, Monitor Engineer, and a Backline Technician on the scale of the NEC arena, MEN arena, O2 arena and other large venues, ideally touring but anything based around that job description would be fine.

many thanks

Duncan

No interest in smaller scale events? I know technicians who get paid minimum wage for working in the music industry at a Number 1 recieving house for rock & roll and tribute act tours.

The key seems to be 'different ways' - don't get bogged down on the money - that isn't what is being asked for. There's an active topic on freelance vs employed which has useful info in it that fits - so you have emplyoment status, payment terms and contract issues to analyse and evaluate. You could find that the contract is a total maximum payment contract - so it sets a start and an end date - and the total you will be paid. However, it might give you the option of invoicing weekly or monthly - or for the entire period. My last longer one gave the final total, requested an invoice for the full amount, then divided it my the number of weeks and paid that out weekly? Different ways could also mean cash, cheque, bank tranfers so you could look at the advantages and disadvantages of those in terms of risk, timing security etc. Different ways could also mean the difference between up front agreed rates and some kind of royalty split. Buy-outs and other rights transfer deals. Seems to me that there is no real need to talk real money at all, and one of the sre fire ways to fall out with people is to ask them how much they earn. This industry is very distorted - there may well be a hierarchical management structure, but sometimes people lower down earn more than those above - and everyone keeps very quiet and it doesn't cause any problems. In the High Court this year a barrister asked a well known LD how much he earnt, and how much he paid his people. He answered this. They then asked him how much a live event lampy got paid. He said he hadn't a clue but made a guess. The barristers were amazed. "You are the man in charge of the event, and don't know how much these people who work for you earn??" "Nope" he said - "not my department, they don't work for me, they work for another company - but they do what I need them to do"

I'd try to keep away from amounts - after all, if somebody on here says they earn 2 grand a week doing Glastonbury for XYZ, somebody getting £1500 for ABC will be miffed - and XYZ might think they're overpaying. Ramifications galore. Most people get what they can - and if it is enough, they're happy. Kowing what somebody else gets is not always a good idea.

Archived