2 pacing/double stacking 2 XP50's

dunk_1984

OK, so we are getting a number of jobs where we can't afford to put out 10k Projectors, so are looking for the best way to 2 pac our XP50's.

We have been experimenting and can get the images/test screens lined up, but there are slight differences in areas so it looks wrong, this is probably a keystone issue.

Obviously the projectors only have a vertical lens shift. I have set them up on top of each other with a roll of LX under the top ones feet to aim it slightly down, this then allows them to line up, however they still don't like matching up perfectly.

So my question to you all is, have any of you managed to do this well? If so, how? Which is the best way to array them, on top of each other or side by side and keystone?

Also so far I have only tried with the standard lens as neither the wide or zoom have been necessary.

It took me a little while to work out what you meant (pac? pacing?).

You want to double to XP50s? The usual answer would be - no - not worth the bother - just use bigger projectors (corporate world budgets -not huge but better than most theatre).

If I had to, I would definitely stack them vertically. Would be best in cages/ flying frames, then easier to shim if needed.

certainly round here the cost of a Sanyo XF45 for the day has dipped with the CLM R10+ becoming the new 10K standard. I'd expect to pay £650/day less trade, which is the same as hiring 2 5K machines. It's then your call to make sure you price the job right and spec the kit correctly, and that includes making the call between using your kit to maximise profit, or subbing kit to make the job go well and professionally.

Double stacking the XP50 will be hard. Get them set level, one above the other and take the keystone out, as that is a digital alteration of the image. Then use the lens shift to get them lined up. You'll find getting the zoom right hard as they have quite coarse motors. Get one machine aligned and then bring the other in to match. Using a single pixel grid will make lineup a lot easier.

They won't look like a 10k projector, but two 5K's lined up, and it could take an hour or two of fiddling.

Yes I meant double stacking, 2 pac'ing usually refers to the softedging of 2 projectors, sorry.

Little DJ - We own the XP50's, and currently Sub in the XF45's, Will be purchasing our own later in the summer for some of the bigger contracts. in the meantime it's just seeing how far we can push our current Hire stock, if only for our personal interests.

I will be trying again in the Warehouse... Have to mount them lower in comparison to the screen this time though I think.

I would try and make sure you keep bot projectors as perpendicular to the screen as possible, and use the lense shift to get the images to overlap, if you start tipping projectors you will line yourself up for a whole additional world of pain with differing geometries, as you noticed with the keystoning, differing focal distances.

I would second Little DJs comment though and think hard about wether the extra time and effort, and potential loss of quality for a little extra profit.

In principle its fairly straightforward to do, but not with something as basic as an XP50, with no way of adjusting the reqistration of the image on the panel. Now I only really do it with large venue projector when the client is looking for 30k lumens+, it just doesnt seem worth it for anything where there is already a single projector solution available.

Charlie

I used to double xp46's all the time, can even be done with 0.8 lenses:)

I'm currently sat in Berlin with 12 Barco r12's doubled and softedged...looking the donkeys doodahs....with also another couple of imag screens also doubled! and the colour balance took 2 of us a whole 10minutes..** laughs out loud **.....was a nice surprise...

There is a knack to a decent double...especially with a sanyo branded projectors as their fixed lenses do tend to be slightly different, and obviously longer lenses are easier to double/treble than bendy 0.8's. but it can be done and also gives u a back up projector running hot in the rig. Have fun, doubling's an enjoyable past time, especially flown!

Archived