Export from AutoCAD

peter

Does anyone have any good solutions for exporting images from AutoCAD? At the moment, my method involves printing out the images as a 2x2 matrix, then scanning them back in and combining them in Photoshop. Obviously thats not an ideal method. How do others go about getting a JPG from AutoCAD that you can actually read the text on?

Peter

Does anyone have any good solutions for exporting images from AutoCAD?  At the moment, my method involves printing out the images as a 2x2 matrix, then scanning them back in and combining them in Photoshop.  Obviously thats not an ideal method.  How do others go about getting a JPG from AutoCAD that you can actually read the text on?

Peter

I wouldn't use JPEG as a file format for "line art" (rig plans, etc) - its not designed for it.

JPEG uses "lossy" compression techniques to reduce a bitmap image file to a reasonable size. However this means a loss of quality in the resulting file, particularly noticable at straight edges and the intersections of straight lines. Your text will look awful if saved as a JPEG.

In essence JPEG is to images what MP3 is to audio. However, JPEG is great for photographs, etc. I would suggest GIF or PNG as suitable alternatives; both have lossless compression and are relatively portable.

Back to AutoCAD, I have some unix based utilities which will convert an "AutoCAD slide file" into a GIF, if that helps? Never tried it myself, but if you mail me a slide file I'd be happy to give it a go.

Marc

Archived