RCF Art 200 problems

Matt Riley

Hi guys,

been having an intermittent problem on one of the 4 old school type art 200s on one of the rigs I've got to look after. It occasionally won't pass signal and emits a loud hiss... does anyone have any idea where to start looking? Are there any known problems with this speaker?

Cheers,

Matt

Like many powered speakers, the RCF ART series can rattle components loose..though they tend to be well-sealed with the glue gun during assembly. One example had shed its HF decoupling capacitors right out of the board.

That is one of many problems you can have with active cabs, unless you know electronics.

As mentioned, check the switch, otherwise unless you know about electronics take it to an RCF dealer, ask for a price quote before they do anything though!

John Denim.

EDIT:

Could it be possible that there is a fault elsewhere?

here's a quote from the guy who reported this fault:

'[it] decided it had a built in white noise generator, and produced a hissing noise even when there was no source plugged into it. However it was easily sorted out by giving it a thump on the side.'

So this leads me to believe that the issue does not occur elsewhere in the signal chain.

Let me rephrase the question...

The successful percussive maintenance, and continuing operation of the amp stage leads me to believe that it's a dry solder joint or loose connection somewhere around the input stage of the power amplifier. Which components would cause this kind of 'white noise generation'?. Are there any well known issues with this type of box (a la a+h mixwizard ribbon cables or folio power connectors)?

Obviously if anyone has a service manual then that would also put a big smile on my face!

Matt

I have had a look, but cant seem to find any info on this is it quite an old cab?

Get your soldering iron out and re-solder all the parts that are large enough to touch individually.

The only other way to check would be a systematic deduction.

Use a continuity tester to test for breaks in cable, pcb runs.

John Denim.

Thanks very much guys for this... I'll investigate further over the next couple of weeks and see what I come up with. I'm guessing that the fault is probably limited to being before the active crossover stage since it was hissing out of both the horn and 12", so will locate that bit of the pcb and have a poke/resolder!

Cheers,

Matt

Archived