Dimmer curves with mixed brands

steve h

Dimming (48 channels) - 96 circuits patchable, 15amp plugs

2 * Zero88 Beta packs (12 Channels)

Eleco Dimmers (36 Channels)

4 * show tec 4 way dimmers

Soon to be replaced with 8 * beta packs 3 and 1 * chili pro.

Hi Kev

Just wondering how you cope with the different dimmer curves on the showtec and zero88 dimmers? Or does this not come into affect?

Steve

We dont :) we have a big problem with our celco dimmers and the zero88 dimmers. We have very intersting fades! The showtec we only use for emergency and in other spaces.

Thats 90% of reason why were replacing our dimmers.

There is a lovely program/lx desk called light factory thats has really good control over dimmers curves which might be of some use to you.

Thanks...its not something I usually have to deal with...all ours are betapack2s, but last week was doing a show somewhere else where the dimmers were beta2s, but one had a rather bizarre curve of really only starting to show from about 75% onwards!

Steve

A venue I did a show at last year had some odd dimmers; I'm told they were rescued from a skip of a TV station that was upgrading its lighting, there were 36 channels of 5KW. But... when I used them with a couple of normal dimmers, it all just looked wrong. Fortunately PCStage supports arbitrary dimmer curves, so I picked a channel, and adjusted curves to make it look the same as a "normal" dimmer, and this is what the curve looked like...

http://www.davidbuckley.name/pix/pcstage_dimmer_curve.jpg

Note that a 'normal curve' for no correction is a diagonal line from bottom left to top right...

Once that ocrrection was applied, one channel looked good, but on closer examination, every channel of the 36 was a bit different :blink: No wonder the TV company was trashing these dimmers.

So for next years show I am going to have 36 curves, one per oddball dimmer. I'm just musing over how I can automate the process so it takes me less than a lifetime to programme it up...

Edited for clarity.

Archived