National Theatre Connections

skenmy

I'm part of a team that has been passed through to the second stage of the competition - we are going to perform our chosen play "Fugee" at the London Arcola Theatre on June 2nd. This is our second year in the competition, both time we have reached the second stage.

Is anyone else here a technician in a company taking part in NTConnections? What have your experiences been - for me it was the first time I had ever worked at an outside theatre, and I loved it!

And for those who have no idea what I'm going on about: http://www.ntconnections.org.uk/

Yurp, worked on one of those while I was LD - the Stephen Joseph Theatre in Scarborough with "The Ice Palace".

All I can say is, why did we always have to pick the wierd play?

Then the year after was called back to help with "The Miracle" at the Brewery Arts Centre in Kendal.

Both times were great fun, and a good chance for the younger crew to see how a "proper theatre" worked. I was roped in for the second one because I'd worked other shows away from school, but for everybody else, it was a first time.

Got to say, both venues were very nice indeed!

Just don't ever volounteer to be a "responsible member of staff" on a school drama trip. We stayed in Windermere youth hostel and I spent all night sat up hidden at the end of the corridoor waiting for one of the little darlings to sneak into their mate's room. Funnily enough, 2 years previously when I'd been a student, it was me doing the sneaking! Oh how times change! We still found a couple of the lads in a girl's room, still dunno how they managed that, though I suspect it involved windowledges!

Anybody else still got their cactus? We got an inflatable one first time round, and a real one in the second one.

• 1 month later...

Back in 2004 I was lucky enough to go all the way to the national theatre with my school group when they were performing "Dead End". Was a fantastic opportunity and gained alot from it. Semi finals were held at the Theatre Royal in Bath and the finals in the Cottesloe Theatre.

Would recommend anyone with a chance to get involved to jump on board and get the most out of it!

We're entering for the first time next year and I can't wait. I don't know much about it yet but it's going to be the first time I get to work in a theatre with decent wings and grid. Also, hopefully I may learn something about flying, something I've wanted to do for a long time.

Archived