Live money counter

bilsta1000

We've arranged for a sponsored run of a park and everyone is having different money per lap. Im wanting to get hold of some software that will work out how much people have raised, but I want it live on a second monitor so I can input like names or an amount to add to the total.

anyone have any ideas?

That sounds very specific, I imagine you may have to write something yourself or find someone who can write it for you.

You could probably do it in Access or similar, having a form on the second screen which calculates the total and just update that. Then you could keep a record of how many laps each runner has done, and what they earn per lap and Access would calculate the total for you.

You can expand the main Access window to span both screens, then you could get a form and a table up, or two forms, one for each screen. This wouldn't look too neat but would work. Alternatively there are some settings so you may be able to access the same database data from two files/applications, so you could run one for data entry and one for display.

Sounds a bit like something the live media management software I'm working on at the moment could be persuaded to do if I coded a special little bit into it.

When do you need it for?

PM me if you want to discuss!

Ian

You could probably do it in Access or similar, having a form on the second screen which calculates the total and just update that.

Thats a great scheme, wish I'd thought of it! I'd use Excel rather than Access, but the same principles apply: expand Excel to cover both screens, data entry on one and pretty formatted output on the other, including things like graphs, neat... Gridlines off, freeze panes...

I'd use Excel rather than Access

I agree, excel is MUCH more user friendly than access. And you don't have to swap the mouse for a non scroll-wheel one to stop it generating new blank records every time you forget and try to scroll down! Yes, I know you can disable it with a bit of code in access, but IIRC that upsets something else and creates as many problems as it solves.....

Using a combination of excel and powerpoint its easily done. Have done it in the past several times.

basic gist of things is in powerpoint insert an excel sheet (its next to the insert table button on the older powerpoints (not the 2007 version)) and then make a list on your first sheet with (say) 500 rows for names and then a sum field at the bottom. Then on the second sheet have a large field that equals the sum on the previous page, format it big and bold. Start the presentation with powerpoint set for dual screen mode and with presenter view off. then edit the excel form again, screen will update the number and you will have most of the control you have in excel, just imbedded into powerpoint.

If you cant work it out drop me a pm with your email address and I will knock one up for you.

Nick

Archived