Sennheiser Evolution Wireless Antenna Distribution

robertnisbet

Hi,

I have a quote on an install coming up, where the client wants six Sennheiser Evolution Wireless receivers in a rack, with antenna distribution. I'm aware of the standard Sennheiser 4-way antenna & power distribution unit, but was looking for an alternative to putting two of these in the rack with the associated four antennas - I would only like to have to install two antennas if at all possible.

So, are there any third party six- or eight-way splitters on the market? A friend of mine ins convinced a company he used to work for had a six-way unit, but he can't remember the manufacturer. Alternatively, could I use a basic two-way split (active or passive) on the antenna feeds, and use these to run two of the Sennheiser distribution units. Basically my primary aim is to remove the need for installing four antennas and the associated four cables, instead doing all the distribution within the installed rack.

All advice gratefully received.

Thanks,

Rob

There is no reason why you cannot use a passive split to drive two distros from one set of antennas, I wouldn't passively split more than once though.

As for a distro with more outputs, 2 Trantec S4000 distros can be combined to give 8 diversity outputs in 1U. Or how about the 8-way Sennheiser ASA 3000?

I might well be wrong, but I was under the impression that the Sennhesier antennae distro units had link outputs so you could daisy chain more than one from one pair of antennae. Even if they don't, with only six receivers to service you could feed the first three from three outputs on the first distro with the fourth output feeding the second distro.

(Unless they're completely passive in which case your signal may drop a little too low. Monday morning brain failure symptoms...)

I might well be wrong, but I was under the impression that the Sennhesier antennae distro units had link outputs so you could daisy chain more than one from one pair of antennae. Even if they don't, with only six receivers to service you could feed the first three from three outputs on the first distro with the fourth output feeding the second distro.

(Unless they're completely passive in which case your signal may drop a little too low. Monday morning brain failure symptoms...)

You can link 2 Sennheiser ASP 2's together giving you an 8 way split and DC distribution.

Tech sheet here http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/uk/icm.nsf/res...le/ASP2_eng.Pdf

The ASP 2 has the option of being run as a 2x4 way or a 1 x 8 way so you can plug ant A and B in to 4 receivers or Ant A OR B into 8 receivers (meaning you'd need 2 of them).

You just need a short link lead to link the channel A out to the channel B in.

edit : beaten to it

@ Shez; you are indeed correct, they have link outputs so that can become 1-to-8 splitters, and using two of them of course offers the functionality I am looking for - thank you for pointing out a feature that I had missed/overlooked.

and thanks to Rob and starsky who also clearly know the system better than me and posted while I was replying!

Hi, Just to add, you will probably need to by the Antenna boosters (AB 2-E) they are about £80 each and you will need one for each antenna.

What you do is go from the antenna to Ab2 -E and then into the distribution unit. I have recently bought 8 sennhesier systems with the distribution units and the boosters and they work great.

Hope this Helps

Alex

To Sum up for the OP

You can give 6 receivers a signal from 1 Sennheiser distro but they will not all be true diversity, ie they will only be about to choose the signal from one Antena not two.

For example at the back of the distro you have 8 BNC outs (4xA & 4xB) and 2 BNC ins (A & B), the 8 Outs will give 2 receivers a true diveristy signal (A+B) using the stronger of the two signals. the other 4 receivers will only have A or B so they will not beable to choose which is stronger signal.

So to give all receivers a better range you need a signal from A & B making the true diversity and therefore you would need 2 distro units!

Hope I didn't confuse!

Sennheiser themselves actually recommend the use of the boosters when the splitter is also used. The gain in the booster appears to be designed to fairly exactly compensate for the losses in the splitter.

That said, if your antennae are close to the stage and if you've used high quality, low loss cabling then you may well not need them. With RF, just as with audio, too much signal can be as bad or worse as not enough.

One other thought: if you end up using the boosters, DO follow the instructions and locate then right at the antennae. If you try to amplify the signal at the splitter/receiver end of the cable, you will also end up amplifying the noise floor which is not good.

Bob

you could cheat and split the outputs from the adu, using a BNC splitter, senn make one or just use a Y Split. I have done this quite a few times how ever you do need to consider distance from transmiter and rack but it does save the cliant money and rack space.

however sennheier used to (I dont know if its still current im working out of a 2003 cataloge here) make the prosplit 600 + 800 (600 = six recivers 800 = 8 recivers funnaly enough) also they have the ASP212 a 2 ch 2 way passive split (great bits of kit all three used them many times.

or a shure make ADUs. I have the trantec ones and they are quite annoying but they do work.

Also make shure you use antenna with built in boosters. (senn A12 or current equivilent. this take a 12VDC supply from the adu (providing that it does it)

hope this helps

just my 2ps worth

edit: just added a few things that I forgot

Archived