Lighting Training

Hi, I'm 15 and live in Hereford, UK.

Would anyone recommend some courses when I can learn some knowledge of live events, lighting controllers e.g. RoadHog and lighting design? And maybe a bit more about the lighting industry

Anything will be helpful. :P

Hey, welcome to the BR!

I've just had some training on the GrandMA desk, it was brilliant. It gives you a real understanding of the desk. I also know that ETC, Chamsys, Avolites all do training and im sure the other companies will aswell. Just phone or email them and ask for some training, and im sure they will be happy to help. AFAIK they are all free to do, you just have to get your own way there.

I hope this helps you.

Lewis

P.S. Im only 17. Also, if you do the GrandMA, tell Simon I said hi!

I would suggest contacting either White Light Group (London) on 020 8254 4600, or contacting the manufactures / suppliers of the lighting boards you want to learn.

As far as learning about lighting in general I'd recommend, contacting Paddington College (I believe they still run Technical Theatre courses), or try contacting your local theatre.

I'd also recommend the following books:

Stage Lighting Handbook by Francis Reid,

Stage Lighting Design by Richard Pilbrow

A Method of Lighting the Stage by Stanley McCandless

All of which have loads of useful info.

All the best Hope this helps you.

Steve.

Hi, I'm 15 and live in Hereford, UK.

Would anyone recommend some courses when I can learn some knowledge of live events, lighting controllers e.g. RoadHog and lighting design? And maybe a bit more about the lighting industry

Anything will be helpful. ;)

Hello -

Many drama schools offer short courses in technical theatre over the summer - this year here at Mountview Academy in North London we are offering a one-week 'Lighting Design and Technology' short course aimed at those who would like to develop their basic knowledge or interest in the subject. We aim to provide students with an understanding of the design process - from rehearsal to plan drafting together with the basic practical skills required to rig, power, patch, focus and use the latest conventional lanterns, scrollers, moving lights, LED fixtures and control them on state of the art consoles.

It'll be a busy week but one that will hopefully answer some basic questions and for some may serve as a good introduction to our unique two-year BA (Hons.) degree. If you are interested in finding out more, contact our short courses dept. on 0208 826 9210 www.mountview.org.uk

Matt Veitch

Head of Lighting

Mountview Academy of Theatre Arts

matt@mattveitch.com

Archived