Multicores...Again

fatfrog

Hi,

Need to buy a multi-core - I need a decent quality one but don't have huge money but saying that I don't want to skimp and pay for it in the long run.

16 channel with 4 returns I'd say

Have used a thomann one before - it's grand for an install but I don't think it would survive the road too well

Price range about 200 pounds...Any suggestions

Cheers

Alan

I know you said you don't want a Thomann one but hear me out.

The Thomann Offering Here is good, I have one and it hasn't let me down.

It has even been used in the towns city centre and been run over (don't ask) and everything still works.

To store it I have one of the hose carts on wheels which I wind it on to tails end first.

Or for £185 more you can buy it on a drum Here.

Or This from terralec, it's the same spec as the first Thomann one but twice as much

Josh

Fair enough when I said same specs I ment in terms of lengh and Ways of the cable not the quality.

Although the seccond one looks to be of higher quality I wasn't prepared to comment on it because I have been burned on here before now because I did just that.

Josh

I have a cheapie 15m 8 way thomann snake, which failed on its first use. turned out to have what appeared to be manufacturing faults inside it. I dont know if mine was just dodgy or whether they have a deeper problem, but I just thought I'd let you know I've had problems with mine. I've since repaired mine by hand after locating the fault with a TDR.

The 2 from Thomann you link to are NOT the same multicores. The one on the drum is in a different league. I would highly recommend that one, maybe not the cheaper one.

Each to their own I guess.

I have to agree with Rob on this one, can't beat Thomann, and def go for the second one on the drum, the plugs, cable and connection are of a hight quality!

I have a quick question! anyone know where I can get a 16/6 multi? I know thomann have a 24/6 but its just a wee bit to much!

I have a quick question! anyone know where I can get a 16/6 multi? I know thomann have a 24/6 but its just a wee bit to much!

22 is an unusual number & not one I've seen, though that does not mean it's not out there.

I'd get a 20+4 & swap 2 cores around to give you 18+6. Or possibly better still, swap 3, to give you 17+7 so you have one spare in each direction.

If you don't want to do any soldering, then The Loudest (linked to above) sell adaptor kits in sets of 4 to change sends into returns. However I don't like relying on small adaptors as they tend to have legs.

Edit: Seems apostrophes have legs too!

I know I've said this elsewhere, but it is a pity that Horizon no longer sell to the UK. Their mulicores seem better than the cheap Thomann/CPC offerings but they were priced much cheaper than any of the normal high quality manufacturers.

Cheers

James.

Sorry, but so far no-one seems to have pointed out that for £200 your not going to get a very decent quality multicore. You say you dont want to skimp and pay for it in the long run, but to be fair your skimping by only paying £200. For that sort of price your not going to get a decent branded multicore, I payed over £800 for my van damme 50m 16 way. Dont get me wrong you will be able to get a multicore for your sort of money but the length of its life is questionable.

What exactly are you going to be doing with it? If its only going to be for fairly infrequent use, and in not particulaly harsh environments, then a thomann one will probably do you fine with the odd bit of soldering from time to time. However if your going to be throwing it into the back of vans and using it multiple times a week there it wont last you more than a week. I guess its all depends on what your going to be doing with it.

You also dont state what length you want? This will make a key difference in price. I would strongly reccomend you think about this aspect, as if your too ambitious and get a multi too long, its extra space for transport and extra weight when your carrying it up stairs, as well as extra cost.

As for the 16/6 multi, I have never seen one either. My recomendation would be the same as Marks, a 20/4 and adapt it to what ever you want, an 18/6, 16/8 or 17/7.

HTH

Rich

Archived