ADB DW105 profile

richard

Hello

Am lighting a show in holland where the venue only has ADB DW105 p1k profiles, they are happy to hire in some source 4's but want to use their kit where possible.

Does anyone know what these are like? how good the optics are, how good for shuttering etc?

Thanks

Richard

Hi Richard

I haven't used these in a while but they are relatively strong workhorses. That particular range is very reminiscent of the Canatata range of lanterns. They are very similiar characteristics.

I would have no problem using them. They are a decent 1kW profile. The optics are pretty decent and there is a good punch from them. They take a 185mm gel frame. Cant think of the gobo size off the top of my head. Needless to say it is either A or B.

I have never used a gobo in them so can't comment on the quality of projection.

I dont think you need to rent S4's unless you have something specific in mind. I would treat them like a zupped up Cantata 18/32 profile. I cannot remember if the shutters do the bendy trick. I don't think they do. They never gave me any troubles when I used them. The one draw back is that they are a pig weight. One of those, so you think you are strong moments-think again.

Hope that helps to make a decision.

eamon

DW105s are perfectly good profiles. 1200w ... decent light output as long as they're well maintained ... wide beam, with a good zoom range ... quite large and heavy compared to some others, but just get the venue lampies to rig them for you and you'll be fine!

Having had a quick google to see what they look like, I'm pretty sure that they're the ADB profiles we have at uni, and I've always found them to be good workhorse profiles.

Noticeably dimmer than a 750W S4, and a lot bulkier, but good and more than usable.

The profile luminaires in the ADB Europe range use a double reflector system in combination with an aspherical condenser lens. This gives superior projection qualities compared with other profiles and avoids the 'banana' shutter effect.

Cant think of the gobo size off the top of my head. Needless to say it is either A or B.

Either A or B size gobos can be used, depending on the gobo holders the venue has. The B size holder is more common (in the UK at least) as DHA make a standard one. The A size holder from ADB has a retaining ring.

Only downside is the weight so, as Gareth said, get someone else to rig them for you!

HTH

Barney

Archived