How to work out a latern angle size

stuartsl

90 Degrees (In this case) means that the "Cone" of light coming out of it is at a 90O angle.

To calculate the beam angle required is a simple method of trigonometry - based on how far the lantern is away from where it is lighting, and the size of beam required at the end of the throw.

+++EDIT+++

Obviously, you will need to take into account that as the beam gets wider, and the distance increases, the level of intensity gets less, so it's not necessarily a good idea to hang a 45o lantern at double the distance.

HTH

Jim

90 Degrees (In this case) means that the "Cone" of light coming out of it is at a 90O angle.

To calculate the beam angle required is a simple method of trigonometry - based on how far the lantern is away from where it is lighting, and the size of beam required at the end of the throw.

HTH

Jim

Please note this comment is not sarcastic;

Is that Pythagoras theorem or something more complicated?

Not quite Pythagoras, but close.

Assume you want to light a 2M area. from 4M away.

This gives you an Isosceles(?) triangle of Base = 2 and height = 4

divide the base by 2, to give a right angled triangle of 1M Base by 4M High.

ie) The Adjacent is 4

The Opposite is 1

Using SOHCAHTOA , we know that the Tangent of the angle is Opposite / Adjacent

ie) 1/4 = 0.25

We now want the angle. The ArcTangent of 0.25 is (Digs out calculator) = 14.03o.

Now, if you remember, we created a right-angled triangle, we want to go back to our Isosceles triangle.

Therefore 14.03 x 2 = 28.06o

In this case, I would be looking for a profile of at least 30o Beam width, and focussing it down as required.

Jim

+++EDIT+++ Must type Maths lessons faster!

+++EDIT AGAIN+++ For correct spelling of Isosceles.

+++EDIT+++

Obviously, you will need to take into account that as the beam gets wider, and the distance increases, the level of intensity gets less, so it's not necessarily a good idea to hang a 45o lantern at double the distance.

HTH

Jim

sorry so what is the cone of the latern?and where is the 90degree measurement taken from the throw of the light? is it taken from where the beam leaves the unit?

thanks

Stuart

Strictly speaking, it's from the focal point of the beam. But to all intents and purposes, yes, it's taken from the lantern.

so if I had a lighting bar say 5 metres from the stage and the point that I wanted to light, and I was using a source 4 with a beam angle of 50 degree what would the light spread be on the stage? and what the easy (understandable way) of workin this out,

sorry my maths is nooo good and the LD lite calculator just confuses me!

Thanks for your help

Stuart

Ok,

Using {tan(beam angle)} X throw distance = beam diameter

{tan (50)} x 5Mtr = beam dia.

tan 50 (from tables or calculator) is 1.192

1.192 x 5 = beam dia

5.96Mtr = beam dia

lets call it 6 Mtrs.

Ok,

Using {tan(beam angle)} X throw distance = beam diameter

{tan (50)} x 5Mtr = beam dia.

tan 50 (from tables or calculator) is 1.192

1.192 x 5 = beam dia

5.96Mtr = beam dia

lets call it 6 Mtrs.

thanks thats a big help

so if I had a lighting bar say 5 metres from the stage and the point that I wanted to light, and I was using a source 4 with a beam angle of 50 degree what would the light spread be on the stage? and what the easy (understandable way) of workin this out,

sorry my maths is nooo good and the LD lite calculator just confuses me!

Thanks for your help

Stuart

When you say the distance is 5m do you mean along the ground or "as the crow flies" to the lantern (in other words on the hypotenuse)?

If you mean it's 5m direct (rather than along the ground, in which case we need to know how far up the lantern is) then let me talk you through how to use LD Calc Lite:

First click on the very first icon (picture of a lightbulb).

In the "calculate" box select "beam oval width" as this will give you the width of the beam on the stage, which is what you want to know.

In the "knowing" box, looking at the plan above, you know D (the distance between the actor and the lantern) and F (the beam angle) so select "D and F"

Under "D" select the distance (5.00) and under "F" select the focus angle (50 degrees).

Read out the answer under "X=": 4.66

If you meant it was 5m along the ground, then we need to know the height at which the lantern is rigged. Knowing that allows you to work out the hypotenuse (which LD Calc calls D) so you can feed the data in and read out your answer.

Archived