Where do you like to prompt from  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you like to prompt from

• Stage Right
    • Stage Left
    • Control Both/ Box
    • Other

Hi guys,

Just a quick poll, given the choice where would you rather prompt from.

Personally I think it depends on the show for larger ones I like to be backstage (Left or Right) so I can check everything backstage etc. and it is easier to get ito the auditorium to liaise with FOH but with smaller shows I do like calling the book from the Box as there is often restricted wing space and it is more calm- but hey we are meant to cope well under pressure anyway.

Also any unusual places you have prompted from?

Over to you,

Sam

Prompt as in Calling the Book (i.e. the DSM),

however the DSM can also sometimes be requried to prompt the actor as well as run the prompt book (call the cues) if you see what I mean.

Any clearer now?

Sam

PS- I would like to see someone try and prompt the actors from the booth :rolleyes:

forgetful actors can be made to wear earpeices 

[RANT] I think this makes them worse cause they rely on it to much, if they know that they will recieve no help apart from the occassional prompt then they are forced into pulling their act together and becoming fluent on their lines.

Anyway we shouldn't have to strain our allready limited technical budget into getting overpriced earpieces for actors who can't even remember their own lines!

Its their job like we get payed to SM they get paid to act so they should learn their lines- its in the job description! [/RANT]

Sam

PS- ohh I fell so much better for that!

Is the prompt desk not normaly Stage left, ie "prompt side" ? Or am I getting confused?

Yes it is however it can be in a number of different places depending on the theatre.

Some thetres also have the option of where you want prompt from, but when they have this it generally means it isn't very good anywhere becuase it is made to be portable their is no one place with workers, drencher, int telephone, cans maser station, other comms equipt, video relay, stage foldback, fire fighting eqipt.,

Sam

not always sometimes it is (op) stage right sometimes its in the control room. most theatres I have been in it has been promt side though.

As regards to actor forgetting lines at least if you promt them from the box you could just take the useless so and so out with a cross bow or something ! ** laughs out loud **

and also agree don't give them ear pieces they will just be incurage not to learn there lines or mess about with them thinking they are important! he he he

in the majority of smaller venues that I have dsm'ed in, the prompt desk seems to be on the right as this area seems to be the most spacious (i.e. rig ladder on stage left side). in the bigger ones there is the option, yet I prefer the right side as most action happens there[from what I've seen]

cheers

andrew

If I'm not mistaken, the correct term for a venue where the desk is OP-side is a "bastard prompt" (perhaps it means the desk was born "on the wrong side of the [stage]" :rolleyes:

Either way, the question does seem a bit irrelevant. Either you don't have a choice, or, if you do, it's more likely you'll decide based on venue layout and the demands of a particular show.

If I'm not mistaken, the correct term for a venue where the desk is OP-side is a "bastard prompt" (perhaps it means the desk was born "on the wrong side of the [stage]" :rolleyes:

Either way, the question does seem a bit irrelevant. Either you don't have a choice, or, if you do, it's more likely you'll decide based on venue layout and the demands of a particular show.

It wasn't a question just a poll to see preferance

Yeas you our correct it is called a bastard prompt

Sam

In the theatres I've worked in the desk has always been on the 'prompt side' (s.l) with the DSM, and the SM on S.R.

However I have done shows where, due to the venue, the prompt has been first row stalls.

generally speeking, Stage Left is known as Prompt side.

Strangly, my old head of drama at school had the initials DSP, I realised the translation one day: (Down Stage Promt) when writing notes on my script.

Archived