can't get the strand remote v2.8.3 to work on strand 520i

mrainey

Hi I have just installed on my hp ipaq the strand remote v2.8.3 and don't know how to link it to the 520i lighting desk all help would be helpful. we have just got this so not to upto speed on the desk.

Michael Rainey

Theatre Technician

Dylan Thomas Theatre Volunter

Have you bought the Ipaq remote software that you need to install on the desk in order to enable that particular bit of hardware? If so, there'll be an activation key that you need to enter. If not, then I'm sorry but it simply won't work.

Edit : Easy way to tell whether you've got the software or not : go into the "Report" screen and have a look at the list of applications. If "WiFi" is listed, you have it ; if it isn't, you don't!

Ji thanks for the response just to let you know the software was purchased seperate as I had already got a ipaq pda so installed it on there, but as I see you need software and a pice of hardware any tis on the best places to get this software for the desk and hard ware needed

OK, let me break it down for you. There are two pieces of software involved. Well, one's a piece of software, and one's a disk with a number on it. There's the piece of software that you can download from the Strand website for free - that's the bit that sits on your PDA and makes it work like a remote. You can download it as often as you like, install it on as many PDAs as you like, and use it to talk to as many consoles as you like.

There is, however, a very big BUT attached to the last bit of that previous sentence. Any consoles that you want to talk to have to have been loaded with the Wi-Fi portion of the GeniusPro software - well, I say 'loaded', but it's already there in the console, it's just locked out until you do something to unlock it. Unlocking it involves (or used to, at least - I don't even know if the 'new' Strand would be interested in selling you a code to unlock a bit of functionality in a product that they don't make any more and isn't even anything to do with Strand as it currently exists) handing over a ludicrously large amount of money to Strand Lighting in exchange for which they'll send you a floppy disk. You put that disk into the drive, go to the "Load Software" section of the Archive display, and load it.

If you have that disk to unlock the WiFi functionality of your console, then put it in, load it up, and spend the next hour amusing yourself by operating your console from the toilet or the theatre bar. If you haven't, and can't find someone who'll sell it to you, then you may as well forget it.

Archived