Prompt Desk Photos

Hi,

I am trying to build a prompt desk, but I need a basic idea to base it on.

It is just for a school production, so it does not need space for fancy cue systems.

I was wondering whether anyone has any photos that I can look at just to have a base to work upon.

Thanks,

adam

• 2 weeks later...
This is the same desk, from different angles.

Hi Chris,

Would you please explain things a bit? I would be very interested.

The cue lights' switches, are they momentary? What does the green one do? How do you reset the green lights after the 'GO'?

What about the white square push buttons scattered all around the desk?

Thanks,

Dimitris.

Having used a very similar desk (Norwich Theatre Royal)...

The cue lights' switches, are they momentary?

One way (up or down) the switches are momentary, centre for off, other way for latch on.

What does the green one do?

It's a "Master" controlling all the Go switches, so you can set the switches you need for the cue, then operate them all from the one switch.

How do you reset the green lights after the 'GO'?

Switch them back to centre.

What about the white square push buttons scattered all around the desk?

Various functions. From the picture (and from the one I've used), I'm guessing:

Stopwatch start / stop, stopwatch lap / reset, (various I can't read), "Bar Bells", intercom call, intercom mic on/off.

On the TRN desk there are buttons for tannoy annoucements (FOH and backstage) which may be some that I can't read in the photo.

You're thinking too complicated. These kinds of desks are very common and the switches are the old British PO pattern and normally are not momentary
But they are ferociously expensive. Sort of £30 each last time I looked I think.

Here's the prompt desk from Equus here in brighton at the mo. He he SOOOO professional :) :)

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/4573/dsc00078an8.th.jpg

Moderation:

He he SOOOO professional

We don't quite understand your comment? Simon Callow is certainly a professional, and the show gets good reviews and seems to do good business?

So we don't understand your post at all

The OP may have kind of asked the wrong question - so I' going to guess what he wants.

We assumed that what you were wanting were the features a professional propmt desk has - so we've all answered it from a kind of comand centre approach.

Most receiving houses have a common design, mainly so that visiting stage managers feel at home. The reality is the components are pretty simple, and for a school, many of them just won't be needed.

Cue lights - if you have a comms system, then you probably won't want them - as their are just lights, the use depends on discipline and proper rehearsal - coupled with a DSM who really understands what's going on. In less rehearsed situations, then you need to be able to talk making cue lights not so useful.

Clocks and timers - again, features that you can live without.

Backstage and FOH call systems. Do you have the facility to do this? In a school, very unlikely.

Video monitors. - Can you see? if not then a camera and monitor are pretty important.

Script space and lights - essential for any production. Somewhere to lean on and a light so you can read.

In a small theatre or school situation a simple small desk and desk lamp would probably do. There's no reason to be fancy. If you are building one, then a sloping surface with a stop at the bottom, that maybe has some storage space below would be handy.

That's really it, I think.

Archived