Temp Bar Install

Jambo_UK

Both the Steel and the Shackle don't have a SWL rating on them nor do they carry an EU Kitemark, or the CE.
We don't know that for sure.. remember, it says 'Image is for illustrative purposes only' so in both cases, it might not actually be a picture of the product!

And AFAIK, if a (any) product is on sale in the UK, they'd have to comply with all relevant local regs (in this case: show SWL & CE markings) or am I mistaken?

Hopefully our resident CPC rep' will be along shortly to clear all this up :wall:

T

Both the Steel and the Shackle don't have a SWL rating on them nor do they carry an EU Kitemark, or the CE.
They certainly shouldn't be used for "lifting" under LOLER. More generally, I think you'd fall foul of the need to "have a safe system of work" which by inference means you need some way to "prove" that what you are doing is safe.

IANAL (or rigger, but have had some training)

DOH! Second time I've missed page two in as many days. I was under the impression that you had them, and they weren't marked. My points still stand.

As I have discovered from starting doing some work on sites that are still building sites, it all seems to be about CYA. You selected a company who provide you with exactly the same details I was required to supply - Risk Assessment, Method Statement, insurance (£5M, not the £3M I originally had). Once they had those papers in the filing cabinet, they could cheerfully leave me to it and not worry.

I suggest that there are two important aspects to what you are doing. The first is the paperwork. Do you now have a set of documents that state the installers are carrying out the work professionally? I suspect you do. The second aspect is if you as an individual feel comfortable with their work. This I assume is the reason why you have posted here. I can't have an issue with that. You are probably covered from the legal perspective, but need a second confirmation, really just to make you happy. If you were project managing a really big installation, you couldn't get involved at this level, and there wouldn't be a requirement for you to, but here you just need a nagging worry removing.

You have plenty of input here. I'd suggest now inspecting the completed rig, double checking that what they said they'd do, they did! If nothing you see then rings warning bells - leave it there. Probably worth doing the inspection every time it is installed, just in case, they later on cut a few corners.

At some point you will have to stop second guessing, and as the project manager, accept the responsibility, without the stress of "what if.....".

Archived