Plasma monitor connections and what can it be used for

Julian

Hi I have a 42 inch plasma screen that I use for presentations etc but would like to use it as a tv and for games consoles but it only has rgb dsub and the rgb 2 looks like 5 aerial type round connectors (please excuse my damned ignorance)! these are labelled v,h.b,g and r is there a way to connect this using a scart or something or the 3 leads used as standard connectors to consoles and a sky + box ? or am I barking up the wrong tree? Please don't be too technical in your answer as I am very tech illiterate.

Thanks in advance J :D

If you can tell us the manufacture / model of plasma that you have we will be able to tell you what connections it has. the connection that you describe are basically the same the difference is the connection type. there is a way to connect a sky box to it but you require something called a 'scaler' (in your case a component - VGA) which basically changes the signals.

Thanks Tony.

The monitor is a Hitachi CMP4121HD and works beautifully for the computer presentations but I don't get enough use out of it.

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Would the scaler be suitable for all types or are there specific ones for different monitors?

Also would the scaler be the same for the games consoles signal.

Hi I have a 42 inch plasma screen that I use for presentations etc but would like to use it as a tv and for games consoles but it only has rgb dsub and the rgb 2 looks like 5 aerial type round connectors (please excuse my damned ignorance)! these are labelled v,h.b,g and r is there a way to connect this using a scart or something or the 3 leads used as standard connectors to consoles and a sky + box ? or am I barking up the wrong tree? Please don't be too technical in your answer as I am very tech illiterate.

The connectors are called BNCs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BNC_connector

r stands for Red

g stands for Green

b stands for Blue

h stands for Horizontal sync

v stands for Vertical sync

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing that the BNC that is labelled g is also labelled Y, the r is also labelled R-Y or Pr and the b is also labelled B-Y or Pb. What this means is that your Plasma will accept HDTV resolutions as well as RGBHV on these connectors. Basically speaking what you have is another way of connecting a computer - only this time not using the dsub

You cannot wire a Scart connector onto these 5 BNCs. You will need to buy a box that actively converts RGB and sync derived from composite video into RGBHV. This box needs to de-interlace http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_scan the signal and change the refresh rate as well http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refresh_rate .

Would the scaler be suitable for all types or are there specific ones for different monitors?

Also would the scaler be the same for the games consoles signal.

Pretty much. It also depends on what you are wanting to spend, I have used the Kramer VP-727 unit that would suit you perfectly, but it costs £2000 and is no doubt overkill. However is an excellent unit. and will accept all sorts of inputs from a simple composite input up to PC VGA and RGBHV.

RGB one-line two input terminals

(D-sub 15-pin) (BNC)

RGB audio two-line two input terminals

(left, right)

Video 1 video input terminal

Video 1 audio input terminals (left, right)

Video 1 S video input terminal

Video 2 video input terminals

(Y) (Pb/Cb) (Pr/Cr)

Video 2 audio input terminals (left, right)

the above has been taken from the manual of the Hitachi CMP4120HDUS

so you have a few options

Archived