Which diffusion filter?

Stuart91

Now that the light summer evenings are upon us (ahem) I've got a little project in mind for our warehouse. It's an old Victorian building which has lots of windows which are directly onto the pavement, just perfect for any passing criminals who fancy checking out our stock. As a result, we've always kept the blinds down, although this blocks a fair amount of natural light, and you can still see what's inside if you squint a bit.

I recently experimented with some frosted window film, and whilst this worked OK and was a relatively neat solution for the "public" areas it's fairly expensive. What I'm thinking of for the other windows is getting some diffusion gel, and stapling that over the frame.

So what I need to know is: which diffusion gel should I get for the task? It needs to have as high a light transmission as possible, but be frosted heavily enough that you can't see through it in any detail. I can buy the gel from virtually anywhere, so suggestions from outside of Lee/Rosco are equally welcome.

Budget self adhesive window films are much cheaper than theatrical frost.

Look for Fablon or D-C-Fix products - worth trying eBay - there are usually a few rolls on offer.

See Vinyl Depot for example. (also an eBay seller).

D-C-Fix Simple Frost available in 45, 67.5 & 90 cm widths, 1.5 & 15m rolls priced from £2.99 for 45cmx1.5m to 59.99 for 90cmx15m

David

Budget self adhesive window films are much cheaper than theatrical frost.

I'd done a rough comparison of prices, but using the cost of colour filters rather than frost, so you may have a point there.

However one other factor to take into consideration is that each window has 8 panes, which are all different sizes, and it's very time consuming to cut and apply all the pieces that we need. I'd be happy enough to pay, say, 30-40% extra if we don't have to go through that process.

(Unfortunately the window film has opaque backing and is self-adhesive, so I can't just staple it over the windows. Would make an interesting flytrap if I did though... ;)

B&Q has some window frosting thats not adhesive, you spray the window lightly with water and it sticks because of that.

I believe the price is comparable to theatrical frost and is probably more robust.

Unfortunately it comes in a tightly wound roll (like tinfoil) so probably wouldn't want to hang very straight initially.

If you are stapling over the frame (instead of doing the panes, if I am understanding correctly),

That's the plan - it'll take far less time that way.

what about vinyl shower curtain?

Might work - nice idea. The only thing I'm unsure of is how much light it would allow through?

The only thing I'm unsure of is how much light it would allow through?

I can only speak to what's available in the States, but there are multiple options from totally white (less light, but a more pleasing softer source) to a mottled clear (lots of light, but breaks up the "hot-spot" of the actual sun (my choice if this was my project)).

-w

Archived