AKG WMS Vs Sennheiser Evo Wireless

pattonaudio

Hi Guys

I am new to the forum, and have updated my profile info for those who are intrested. I just started my own PA Hire company, and am looking to buy some new wireless mics, am thinking about the AKG WMS 400/450 lavs and want to know what you guys thought of these compare to the Sennheiser stuff.

think the WMS 400's are a bargin at £165 but not sure what the performace, etc is like and is it possible to use more than 16 for a show?

cheers

Richard

There is a topic fairly recently about the AKG, and lots of recent stuff about the Sennheisers. I think the general idea is as with most things, you do get what you pay for. I as such wouldn't call the 400's a bargain. But they are useable.

I don't think you can use more than 16 of either, though I could be wrong.

Rob

I cant recommend AKG after the high-handed attitude of Harman (the brand owners of AKG) in response to my asking for some spare parts.

Sennheiser on the other hand are quite happy to supply anything you need. (except for domestic parts).

Bear it in mind if you're in the trade!

I cant recommend AKG after the high-handed attitude of Harman (the brand owners of AKG) in response to my asking for some spare parts.

Sennheiser on the other hand are quite happy to supply anything you need. (except for domestic parts).

Bear it in mind if you're in the trade!

I will, but I have tried contacting senn loads of times direct via email but no reply :P

I can vouch for the sennheisers - fantastic units. Id be going for 300/500 series, not 100 series though.

You can run a lot more than 16 if you are able to get licenses accross multiple frequency ranges. The units I have provide a frequency matrx which shows a maximum of 12 units in the standard 830-865 band.

Hi - I've found the Sennheisers to be the best, but agree that the 300/500 series are the better option if you want to run large numbers of mics. There is a processor controlled frequency manager available (sorry don't have the model no. to hand!) which apparently makes the allocation of channels/ frequencies a doddle.

We are currently using the 100 series, which work fine up to about 8 mics, but beyond that it can get a bit hairy! As and when we need to either update or add to our stock the 300/500 ranges will be the ones we go for.

As to after sales/repairs with Sennheiser, once you speak to someone they have always been really good to us and not expensive either.

PS How do the little on/off switches on their hand helds get broken? ;) I've tried to see if I can do it and can't yet they come back from jobs with the switch completely trashed! Maybe my nails are too soft!

On the AKG WMS400...

The Current AKG Radio Systems are the

WMS40 @ around the price you mentioned - Don't touch them for pro/rental use

WMS450 @ around £400 each - comparable to the Senn 300/500 series

WMS4000 @ around £600 for a single system - but you are unlikely to ever use them as single as the system is designed to be used as multichannel power/antenna wise.

The WMS400 is no longer sold in the UK as far as I aware by any AKG Dealer as it has been replaced by the 450 series, and if you can get the 450series for 165... please tell me where!!

I would be happily proved wrong tho!

Nick

www.ezpa.co.uk

AKG (yes, Harman Pro) Dealer.

On the AKG WMS400...

The Current AKG Radio Systems are the

WMS40 @ around the price you mentioned - Don't touch them for pro/rental use

WMS450 @ around £400 each - comparable to the Senn 300/500 series

WMS4000 @ around £600 for a single system - but you are unlikely to ever use them as single as the system is designed to be used as multichannel power/antenna wise.

The WMS400 is no longer sold in the UK as far as I aware by any AKG Dealer as it has been replaced by the 450 series, and if you can get the 450series for 165... please tell me where!!

I would be happily proved wrong tho!

Nick

www.ezpa.co.uk

AKG (yes, Harman Pro) Dealer.

The WMS 400 is the system that I have been referring to, and they are £165 - £195 new, and I use them as a multichannel power/antenna wise.

Any advice on using more than 16 at one time???

Sennheiser everytime Richard! I have never used the AKG but I can tell you that the Sennheisers will come on top everytime! My only issue I have had with the lav transmitters is that the transmitter has a screwable mini jack connector which is not very robust! This obviously depends on what you are using them for but if you are like me and hire radios for theatre productions this will start to create issues at some point down the line! I would have them fitted with the lemo type connector they are far more reliable this way!! Also regards to the frequency situation there is a program called SIFMPRO you can download free from the sennheiser website to help you allocate your frequencies, however if want to run 16 channels you will have to look at a license from JFMG. If you are planning to use 16 you are best looking at the antenna distro's aswell. There is also a NET 1 box which I used one show and proved very useful! The net 1 box is an interface to your computer from all your receivers. It gives you info like RF and AF levels, battery life, name of the mic, frequency plots etc. So there you have it Richard hope I have said enough to convince you!

Ben

Thanks for all the posts! I have 12 AKG WMS400s at the min, all in one rack with signal and power distro from wms4000, to be honest I can not fault the lavi system for the price! the handhelds on the other hand (pardon the pun) are crap compared to the sennis, the akg have a switch on the mic that is too easy accessed by performers, the sennis have it figured out by putting it at the bottom, and beofre you all start I know that they are not the only brand to do this!

Plans are now to keep the AKG system and still make a tidy sum from it, but to invest in a senni evo500 prob 24 of them and some nice lavs (suggestions welcome).

Archived