Fire Evacuation and Signs

sam.henderson

Hi guys,

I have two questions so here it goes;

Number one who if anyone is responsible for staying in the building last to check that everyone has evacuated. Is it the SM/ DSM/ FOH Manager/ Ushers? Someone in a previous post said it was no ones responsibility and that the SM should make the announcement to the patrons and then leave via the nearest exit but I don't know whether this is exeptable.

Secondly are these signs OK for a performance (legally I mean)

PLEASE BE AWARE SMOKE AND HAZE IS USED DURING THIS PERFORMANCE

PLEASE NOTE THAT STROBE LIGHTING IS USED IN THIS PERFORMANCE

PLEASE CAN PATRONS REFRAIN FROM SMOKING WHILST IN THE AUDITORIUM

and do I have to put them up at every entrance to the Auditorium.

Any help appreciated

Sam

PS- Moderation, it seemed pointless to make 2 threads but please separate if you feel it necessary. SH

who if anyone is responsible for staying in the building last to check that everyone has evacuated. Is it the SM/ DSM/ FOH Manager/ Ushers?
Nobody. That is if there is no evacuatio policy stating otherwise.

Secondly are these signs OK for a performance (legally I mean) 
I would have thought so.

do I have to put them up at every entrance to the Auditorium
I would do, you may also want to make a verbal announcement prior to the show and print a smaller warning on tickets.

There are no laws directly covering any of the above.

who if anyone is responsible for staying in the building last to check that everyone has evacuated. Is it the SM/ DSM/ FOH Manager/ Ushers?
Nobody.

It depends on what is in the fire policy for the building, generalising there are 2 ways of checking if the building is empty used in fire evacuation policies

1. you know who is in the building prior to the alarm and you check them off outside , if they are all out then the building must be empty, this would be more common in offices rather than venues although could be aplied to a the cast/ technicians if they sign in to work or are the same every day.

2. A number of fire wardens are apointed (and trained) to check there respective areas are clear before leaving the building and report the fact to a fire marshal when they get outside, I would think this would be more normal in a venue and may involve 3 wardens (backstage, auditorium, office area for eample). it would normally be members of venue staff that asume these responsabilatyies not visiting shows and their staff.

but the correct procedure should be explained to anyone prior to working in the building by a member of the buildings staff and should be clearly displayed within the building

Archived