Line Level audio in for laptop

audibleresponse

I am a newbie to this forum and a newbie to audio recording, but I saw this thread and would like to ask a few question that are "somewhat" relevant to the discussion here. So, my apologies in advance if I seem to be hi-jacking the intent of this thread. Please let me know if I need to re-locate this post.

I am seeking to capture line level audio, from an XLR connector, into my laptop. I'm recording/streaming a discussion amongst panelists at a seminar and I will have access to their PA system - the XLR connector provided will mix all of the panelist's microphones into a single balanced output.

As far as the interface, I'm currently evaluating the M-Audio Fast Track Pro, as a USB option, or the Digigram VXPocket v2, as a PCMCIA option. However, seeing this discussion about wireless options certainly is intriquing.

With respect to a wireless option, I'm interested to know:

• If I can utilize a product such as the Sennheiser SKP100 to wirelessly transmit the line level output from their XLR connector? If not the SKP100, is there another product that I can use to transmit this line level signal, say 20ft?
  • What are my options for receiving this transmitted signal? I am seeking a small device that will receive this one-signal and that will interface with either a XLR connector (from the M-Audio or Digigram devices) or a firewire/usb connector.

Thanks in advance for your input ;)

Although I've not personally used this model, the Sennheiser EW 112-p G2 should do the job although you will need an XLR gender-bender (F-F) for the XLR feed to the transmitter. The CL1 jack lead can then plug from the receiver into your laptops Line-In or the line input of an external USB/firewire audio card.

Although I've not personally used this model, the Sennheiser EW 112-p G2 should do the job although you will need an XLR gender-bender (F-F) for the XLR feed to the transmitter. The CL1 jack lead can then plug from the receiver into your laptops Line-In or the line input of an external USB/firewire audio card.

Yup, I see exactly what you're saying and think that should work. Thank you for responding.

And as most laptops only include mic-level inputs, I'll likely have to go thru the external or internal audio card. Given that, can I just replace the receiver's CL1 jack lead with an XLR connector, which will plug directly into the audio card breakout cables?

Also, any other major brands that I should review prior to purchase besides Sennheiser?

I'd say that either the SKP100 or the scheme suggested by Russ83 could work for you. Assuming that making up the necessary adaptor lead doesn't phase you, I'd suggest that the choice might come down to which system is potentially of more use to you in the future.

Even if you could get a mic level output from a receiver, I'd still go for an external sound card. I've yet to find a built-in lap top mic pre-amp that didn't sound appalling; they're designed more for MSN chats than any serious recording.

As for other manufacturers to look at, I'd say you won't go wrong with Sennheiser but, for comparison sake, both Shure and Trantec make pretty decent gear too.

Bob

Even if you could get a mic level output from a receiver, I'd still go for an external sound card. I've yet to find a built-in lap top mic pre-amp that didn't sound appalling; they're designed more for MSN chats than any serious recording.

As for other manufacturers to look at, I'd say you won't go wrong with Sennheiser but, for comparison sake, both Shure and Trantec make pretty decent gear too.

Thanks Bob. I'll check out Shure and Trantec as well, just 'cause I want to be thorough in my research of wireless transmission options before making any committments.

As far as bringing line-in into an internal pre-amp connected to my laptop, the guys at AudioMidi.com recommended the Digigram VXPocket v2 PCMCIA card, which on the surface seems like an incredibly convenient solution. Here's what Electronic Musician had to say about the card. Checkout the set of break-out cables that comes with it, as it seems fairly comprehensive, allowing me to bring line-level directly into my laptop via an XLR connector. But at almost $500, I certainly don't want substandard quality audio. I'll research this option a little further before going forward.

May I ask what the point is in doing this wirelessly? 20ft is no distance at all, and you're going to need mains power for your gear. What's wrong with running a 20ft mic cable? The cost advantage is enormous, and I'm struggling to come up with any advantage other than novelty for doing it wirelessly.

Just for the sake of clarity, when I referred to an "external" sound card, I meant something better than the typical "built in" unit that comes with a laptop. I wasn't precluding PCMCIA solutions like the Digigram (though I've never used them myself so can't comment one way or the other). The externals I've used have all been USB or Firewire.

Ben Langfeld makes a valid point. There's a truism in the industry that you can spend a couple of thousand on a top-level RF system and end up with something almost, but not quite, as good as a £20 mic cable. I replied to your specific query because I assume that something to do with the location precludes running a cable...but if you COULD, obviously this would be the best and cheapest solution.

Bob

May I ask what the point is in doing this wirelessly? 20ft is no distance at all, and you're going to need mains power for your gear. What's wrong with running a 20ft mic cable? The cost advantage is enormous, and I'm struggling to come up with any advantage other than novelty for doing it wirelessly.

Really good question, Ben.

We're broadcasting gov't meetings and hearings, and sometimes we don't know where we will be located in the meeting room relative to the multimedia system connection point (we could end up being 100' away from this connection point in some rooms). Further, there are frequently other reporters, camera operators, and members of the public moving in and out of the meeting rooms. We're concerned that a cable will become a trip-hazard. Virtually all of the local media rely on wireless exactly for this purpose, and we think that the extra cost of a RF solution could save us a lawsuit and damage to our expensive computer gear.

but by solving one (potential) problem, you've (potentially) created another. when you say there's frequently other reporters there using wireless equipment, have you considered the possibility of interference or crosstalk arising? gaffer tape and trip mats exist for good reasons :)

As mervaka says, avoiding a trip hazard is easy enough. Plus, 100' is still no distance at all. A 200' mic cable will coil small enough, cost very little and you can run it round the perimeter. You'll find a lot of people will probably suggest shying away from wireless if it's not really going to be much benefit, and this doesn't sound like it. Of course, you can be the only judge of the worth of a wireless system, but running a single cable in this situation sounds preferable to me.

but by solving one (potential) problem, you've (potentially) created another. when you say there's frequently other reporters there using wireless equipment, have you considered the possibility of interference or crosstalk arising? gaffer tape and trip mats exist for good reasons :unsure:

Very good point. I've spoken to one of the techs who coordinates media access as well as one of the camera operators and I learned that the local media do a really good job coordinating RF frequecies so this doesn't happen. But yeah, it's certainly an issue.

As mervaka says, avoiding a trip hazard is easy enough. Plus, 100' is still no distance at all. A 200' mic cable will coil small enough, cost very little and you can run it round the perimeter. You'll find a lot of people will probably suggest shying away from wireless if it's not really going to be much benefit, and this doesn't sound like it. Of course, you can be the only judge of the worth of a wireless system, but running a single cable in this situation sounds preferable to me.

I'm going to try and take everything everyone has said into consideration. We have a few local production supply houses that will rent gear to me, so I'm going to give a few options a try, both wired and wireless, and see what works best given all of the benefits and challenges. Thank you very much for pointing all of this out, as it's (ie. wireless) a reasonablly expensive committment and I really need to consider all aspects before making a purchase.

Archived