Posters

Billy Rigby

Thank you all so much. I've had some really helpful PMs too. I've passed my design to a friend of mine who did the business cards - it's only right that I give her first refusal although it would have been ncie to have taken up some offers here.

This issue - and, indeed, any other questions I've come to the board with - highlights something that I've never encountered before in "showbiz" circles, and that is the wealth of help that's offered by everyone. Sorry to say, that since I started in entertainment in '94, I've encountered so many people who refuse to give advice or a little leg up the ladder, simply because - well, I don't know the actual reason but I suspect it's simply a fear that if you help someone out, there's a risk they'll take work from you. Nonsense, of course, but probably true.

An easy way of designing flyers is to use Powerpoint ........

I've heard this before, and I'm probably being thick, but what can PowerPoint do (with a still image) that word can not? Word will let you select paper size, which helps.

Powerpoint can do some great stuff with text wrapping, borders, headers etc. The main advantage is any picture imported does not suffer from any degredation/loss when rotated unlike Word. Powerpoint also has some inbuilt settings for flyers and there are loads of templates available free to download over the web. As for paper sizes you import the slide as a jpeg image (not a .ppt) into Adobe and resize, I do my business card's, flyer's and teaser's this way and find it really easy

Another free piece of software is Business Office Printer but (imo) Powerpoint is easier and more creative

hope this helps

G

Well, I had a go with Powerpoint in work (don't have it at home) and found it pretty user-friendly. With the limited templates to hand, I managed to cobble something together which I've since shown to my printer friend. We threw a few ideas about and now it's with a designer. Should be done (hopefully) by the end of the week. Initially, the idea was to do a template which would have a space on it for venue and time but I think the designer wants to put them out on an as-and-when basis, with the gig details already put on by him.

Thanks again, everyone, for tkaing the time to reply and point me in the right direction.

When you're done, why not post a link to a copy of your final result. I'm sure a lot of us are curious!

Hmmm...maybe you could be first in a "Show Your Poster" thread like we have "show your show". I'm sure a lot of us have been roped into helping with posters or programme covers even though that's not our specialty!

Bob

Archived