tascam cd-01U Pro

ianl

does anyone know how to turn down the balanced output level on the tascam cd-01upro cd player?

according to the manual it has "maximum output level +20dbu"

this is well too hot and bleads through on my mixer with the gain at minimum and the fader right down

Out of curiousity, what mixer are you plugging your Tascam CD player into and what cable are you using?

I ask because, for a MAXIMUM output on a balanced line, +20dBu is pretty normal. Nominal "zero" level tends to be +4dBu so this represents 16dB of headroom above zero level which is fairly normal. It's also roughly what one would expect for a 0dB(FS) signal from a digital source such as a CD.

This makes me wonder if the issue might be more to do with your mixer than the CD player--certainly most balanced line inputs on a mixer should be able to handle these levels without much problem. Your description of the sound bleeding into the mixer even with the fader all the way down strongly indicates you may be going into a microphone input rather than a line one.

On some mixers, mic/line selection is done by the choice of connector, with mics always going in on XLR and line sources on TRS sockets. Sometimes there's an A/B source switch; other times plugging into one kills the other. Other mixers let you use either connector for either level and have a pad switch which must be operated for line levels.

Anyway, I don't think there's a "user operable" method to turn down the level...and it would have to go hugely down to solve the symptoms you describe. If you let us know what mixer you have and which input socket you're using, we may be able to offer advice.

Bob

Out of curiousity, what mixer are you plugging your Tascam CD player into and what cable are you using?

I ask because, for a MAXIMUM output on a balanced line, +20dBu is pretty normal. Nominal "zero" level tends to be +4dBu so this represents 16dB of headroom above zero level which is fairly normal. It's also roughly what one would expect for a 0dB(FS) signal from a digital source such as a CD.

This makes me wonder if the issue might be more to do with your mixer than the CD player--certainly most balanced line inputs on a mixer should be able to handle these levels without much problem. Your description of the sound bleeding into the mixer even with the fader all the way down strongly indicates you may be going into a microphone input rather than a line one.

On some mixers, mic/line selection is done by the choice of connector, with mics always going in on XLR and line sources on TRS sockets. Sometimes there's an A/B source switch; other times plugging into one kills the other. Other mixers let you use either connector for either level and have a pad switch which must be operated for line levels.

Anyway, I don't think there's a "user operable" method to turn down the level...and it would have to go hugely down to solve the symptoms you describe. If you let us know what mixer you have and which input socket you're using, we may be able to offer advice.

Bob

cheers,

problem first encountered on soundcraft GB8 using trs jacks on stereo channels

next encountered on Yamaha PM3500 using group sub input(XLR, but nearly everything is on the yamaha), doesnt bleed through but as loud as I want it is with the fader about 2 mm up.

tried it in the yamaha stereo channel (won't be available during this gig) and with the gain on minimum it is just below clipping and the fader is still well down when it reaches loud enough

Well, any of those boards should be able to handle the Tascam fine. I just grabbed the GB8 manual (just because I had a copy to hand) and the stereo inputs are rated up to a maximum level of +30dBu. The channel gains should have more than enough range to let you adjust the Tascam to an appropriate level.

When you hit PFL on the input channel for the Tascam (with the channel gain turned down and the fader around zero) what do the mixer meters indicate as the input level? As I say, any of these mixers should be okay.

If the meters say the Tascam level is sky high even with the channel gain in the appropriate position, then I'd guess the player is faulty and outputting way too hot. On the other hand, if the meters indicate a "normal" level, then the problem may lay with the gain staging elsewhere in the system.

Bob

Well, any of those boards should be able to handle the Tascam fine. I just grabbed the GB8 manual (just because I had a copy to hand) and the stereo inputs are rated up to a maximum level of +30dBu. The channel gains should have more than enough range to let you adjust the Tascam to an appropriate level.

When you hit PFL on the input channel for the Tascam (with the channel gain turned down and the fader around zero) what do the mixer meters indicate as the input level? As I say, any of these mixers should be okay.

If the meters say the Tascam level is sky high even with the channel gain in the appropriate position, then I'd guess the player is faulty and outputting way too hot. On the other hand, if the meters indicate a "normal" level, then the problem may lay with the gain staging elsewhere in the system.

Bob

well, on the stereo channel on the yamaha peaking about +3db on the meters, which isnt too much of a problem, but the desk has a lot of gain / headroom so whith the masters on 0db the channel faders are at about -20db. the problem is with trying to use the group sub in, hitting the end stop on the meters, now using 20db pad leads on the input and is working ok.

will play with the GB8 later in the week when there is not a gig on and see what is going on.

Archived