Futurelight MH60 Microchip heat sink help

taffymonster

Hi all, I'm worried about a futurelight MH60 light I have. Going through all our stock at the moment and inside one, the heat sinks on top of the Pan/Tilt ICs have both come off and were loose within the chassis of the light.

Does anyone know what to use to attach them back on, like a special compound or something? Or is it anything...?!

Really don't want to run the unit without them, I'm sure they are there for a reason!

Many thanks

tMx

If they relied on some form of adhesive rather than a mechanical clip of some sort, then all the usual suspects (RS, CPC, Farnell,etc) will be able to help. You can either use thermal-conductive adhesive or thermally conductive foil, which is a bit like double-sided tape. The tape is quite a bit cheaper than the adhesive, but the adhesive may form a stronger bond between the heatsink and chip. I've only used the foil myself so I can't really comment more than that. You'll need to clean both the heatsink and chip thoroughly before you stick them back together. The better the bond between them, the better the heatsink can do its job.

One last thing - Do your lights still work? I only ask because if the heatsinks have fallen off then the chips may be fried! Might be worth checking before you spend any money trying to fix them.

You need some Angel Sh*t! Otherwise known as heatsink compound!

If there is space, I'd advise replacing said heatsinks with clip on ones (from the usual suspects). My reasoning being, they've fallen off once, the units are going to be bashed about in their life, so it's safer not to just glue them back on.

Also watch the heatsinks haven't shorted/fouled anthing inside the lantern. Potential for mehanical and electrical damage there.

This is the stuff, you can see it's not cheap (price excludes VAT).

I agree the clip-on heatsinks are pretty robust providing the ICs aren't surface-mount, (like the martins) in which case they wont fit.

Properly applied heatsink adhesive (the proper stuff) is very good indeed and has to be chiselled off..maybe the original chips hadn't been keyed or prepared properly from new. As you may see from the Farnell kit, its a two-pack thing with activator and the instructions have to be followed to the letter.

farnell page

Cheers guys, absolutely bomber help. I don't care how much it is Ill tell the boss I need it to get the light working ;-) it's only one fisture in a stock of 30 or so that the heatsink has fallen off, so I'll glue it back I reckon. I will check it works first :-)

again, many thanks

tMx

Archived