Crown XTi 2000

strandgsx

Hey Peeps,

Just a quickie, I need to build up 4 four way monitor amp racks for a couple of tours this year, so 12 amps.

Apparently the XTi series are great amps, we had one on demo from harman, and all seemed ok, however when talking on the subject with another company they shouted NOOOOOO stay away apparently they had loads of problems with strange noises etc.

I have not heard anything bad about them, diddnt think they were too bad for the cash.

So I hope someone out there has the truth about these!

we wish to use them to run LE12J and LE400 wedges

Much thanks

I bought 2 of these amps a couple months ago. I had problems with both of them and also a replacment given to me by the store. One of them would not turn off from the power switch once it was on for about an hour. The other amp had problems with the gain controls not always working. its replacement had problems with it meters. They look nice, but I would not recommend them to anyone!

Stewart

Hi , just my 2p

I've used the 4000 version and found them easy to use / configure.... in fact...they were Robs!

Generally, they were like any new product (IMO) sometimes in the batch there might be some glitches, but from what I've heard so far... they have been eliminated and all is well with these amps (and so far reliability for everyone I've spoke to about them, has been good)

Why not try and get a demo or hire them before you buy? AC and LMC audio should be able to arrange something.

Simon

I head from rob that these amps are great but to requite a firmware upgrade which cam be done with a usb cable and a computer by anyone. But I am sure he will be on here later on to confirm this!

The amps at the moment require a firmware upgrade when you buy them, but this isn't to say that the next batch won't have the latest version, I think it's just the luck of the draw really. It doesn't stop them operating, you just need to do this before you can link them up with System Architect.

Hopefully by this evening I will have finalised my experiment with getting multiple amps to run over a wireless network. I shall be writing up a report etc on my website, and also for a few other people I have who are almost relying on me to find a slightly less than £120 per amp method of doing this.

Rob

the initial batch of amps I believe had a slight issue with the front panel / screen, causing channels to disappear. It's a shame Stewart and a couple of others haven't had very good luck with these as when fully operational (which touch wood mine all have been) they're very good amps.

Rob

slightly concerned!

we have 4 of the xti 2000s

two are almost 6 months old now and two only a few weeks

never had a problem atall with ours, they seem fine - is this firmware problem likely to make them die on me at crucial moments? They go out on some pretty important jobs!

To clarify, it's not a firmware PROBLEM. It's just that to use them with system architect you sometimes have to update the firmware, its the luck of the draw. Either way you should update to the latest version anyway. It's all free to download and just requires a USB A to USB B lead to plug in. It'll detect if an update is required and you'll be on your way.

[helpful point]

You can check the firmware version, and the PSU and Channel temperatures by pressing and holding all 3 front panel buttons for a couple of seconds and using the + and - buttons to scroll through and the enter button to exit diagnostics mode.

[/helpful point]

[unhelpful point]

I've no idea what the current firmware version is.

[/unhelpful point]

Archived