Wireless video senders

egri

Goto www.maplin.co.uk and type QM48C into the product search.

It's a wireless video sender, and reciever for £40 deal valid until 20th march.

this sounds like a really good deal, but I want to know if it will interfere with radio mics, or with my wireless network (802.11g). I think wireless networks use 2.4 ghz as well...?

The idea would be to connect the sender to a video camera at the back of the hall directed at the stage, and connect the reciever to a tv on gallery or stage managers. The remote control signals from the video camera remote would even be relayed back (probably)!

If it doesn't interfere with radio mics (hall) or wireless lans (at home) I will buy one because it has many uses at home as well. I hope having a tv switched on won't interfere with the amp or radio mics either....

Also, anyone know where to get something similar but cheaper? £40 seems rock bottom.

The video senders operate on 2.4GHz, so:

Radio mics - shouldn't interfere.

Radio cans - Depends on type, if not 2.4GHz then will be fine.

WiFi - Will interfere, but will tend to cause packet loss rather than closing the link entirely.

The video senders operate on 2.4GHz, so:

Radio mics - shouldn't interfere.

Radio cans - Depends on type, if not 2.4GHz then will be fine.

WiFi - Will interfere, but will tend to cause packet loss rather than closing the link entirely.

My bet would be that it just uses a Wi-Fi LAN connection of sorts, this should mean that interferance isnt a problem as you can have 2 Wi-Fi Lans fairly close to one another.

My bet would be that it just uses a Wi-Fi LAN connection of sorts, this should mean that interferance isnt a problem as you can have 2 Wi-Fi Lans fairly close to one another.

Not true! BBC R&D are working on some digital methods to transmit high-quality audio/video signals with small units, but this technology hasn't made it into the mainstream yet.

(Although they may well have perfected the technology!)

The systems these cheap video senders use are analogue - a high-power (1mW or so) continuous analogue signal on one of four 2.4 GHz bands.

WiFi can more or less coexist because it's frequency-hopping - two seperate WiFi systems are unlikely to be in sync so there won't be a problem.

Coexisting with a continuous signal on one band is much harder, although the frequency-hopping means that a connection will be possible, but with reduced range and/or increased packet loss.

Archived