Cans - 1 box,2 headsets

stuartm

At the moment I am working on a production of Oliver!

We have 4 sets of cans one at stage level for the SM and then three in "The Shed" where all the technical crew are.

At the moment we plug the cans into the XLR wall socket for one box and then run a box of that and another box through this one for the cans.

My question is, instead of running another box through the extra spare socket can I just plug a headset straight into it to save the hire cost.

We are currently using tecpro cans and are looking at hiring just a headset from stage electrics.

Thanks in advance.

Stu

Nope. For starters, it won't fit - headset is 4 pin, link cable is three pin (or five for two channels).

More importantly, the box does all the interface work - the headset won't work without it's own box.

Sorry, but that's not all that clear. Are you thinking of connecting the headset direct to the wall socket, or loop-through (3 pin) on a comms pack? If so- no. What you MIGHT be able to do is devise a splitter for the headsets from a pack (4pin), but you might have real problems with impedance mis-match.

Sorry I know it wasnt too clear.

Basically on the bag of the back there are three sockets - Input, Output (for a headset) and another output that we usuallly use to route through other boxes. I wanted to know whether I could use this other output for a second headset

I think its this box image:

http://www.showcomms.co.uk/imagemagic.php?...allel%20box.jpg

No, that image is of a 'Parallel box' which enables you to have multiple runs of beltpacks. Its not a beltpack in its own right. As to whether you can run two headsets off one beltpack then the answer is no. As Shez said beltpacks link with either three or five pin plugs/sockets and headsets use four pin plugs, so you can't just plug an extra headset into the extra socket as it won't fit. And before you ask, you can't make up a 3/5 to 4 pin adaptor as that won't work either. If you want to use an extra headset then you'll need an extra beltpack for it.

One thing worth mentioning, although it may not be particularly relevant depending on your skills and kit, is that its possible to "extract" the audio from the comms system, if one of the users can put up with just listening. If you've got a spare small mixer or something that takes an unbalanced input, that you can plug headphones into. The lead to link between comms and mixer needs a slightly weird pinout, which I can't remember off the top of my head, but I'll look it up if this may be of use to you?

Archived