Apogee AE-5

Dmills

Hi all,

Quick question: How do the Apogee AE-5 boxes compare with modern 2 way boxes of similar design (60 x 40, 15" and horn)?

Is it a L'acoustics, a PS15, or is it a Soundlab?

In particular, how do they array?

I am contemplating putting in a (low) offer on some, but due to the logistics I am unable to audition.

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Regards, Dan.

Like the PS15, or the rest of the PS line, they don't array very well. While the problem with arraying the PS series is the different horizontal coverage at the top and bottom of the pattern, with the AE5, it is just too wide a pattern to array sensibly. In their day AE5s sounded pretty good, although only with the Apogee analog processor. I have not heard of anyone being happy with the results with a digital speaker controller. I am not in love with the sound of the PS15 either, I find it kind of tubby. I would much prefer a PS10.

Any speaker with a horizontal coverage of 90 degrees is going to be a challenge to array horizontally. How much horizontal coverage do you actually need? Like the PS series the AE5 sounds better as a single speaker.

Mac

Any speaker with a horizontal coverage of 90 degrees is going to be a challenge to array horizontally. How much horizontal coverage do you actually need? Like the PS series the AE5 sounds better as a single speaker.

I need at least 300 degrees (an in the round space).

I got confused between the AE-5 (90 degrees, and obviously not going to array well) and the AE-8 (that is 60 degrees and just might), comments on the AE-8 would be appreciated!

Plan is a spaced array flown over the centre stage area.

Regards, Dan.

Hiya

as a user of apogee, I cant fault them- the AE series all sound good in there applicaton, im guessiong your sourcing these from concert systems USA who went down?

As previous have said you cannot really use without the processor, however I use alot of apogee and do not use their processor but DBX- and others have heard it and commented on how good it sounds- Just be sure that you can get replacements on all parts esp the HF as as I found out no everything is so easily replaceable

dan

I need at least 300 degrees (an in the round space).

I got confused between the AE-5 (90 degrees, and obviously not going to array well) and the AE-8 (that is 60 degrees and just might), comments on the AE-8 would be appreciated!

Plan is a spaced array flown over the centre stage area.

Regards, Dan.

Archived