DBX DriveRack 260 Mysteries...

Solstace

Afternoon!

Seems I'm not having the greatest run of luck with new kit lately... I have a 2-month-old DR260 (as described above) that intermittently adds loads of distortion somewhere between the input metering stage and the DSP input stage. I'd like to say it's a straight gain increase - but feedback never occurs when it happens. Without source material playing through it, when the unit fails in this way it crackles and spits for a bit, then plays white noise through all outputs. Playing source material over this results in a sound best described as digital overdrive.

Our primary unit failed 45mins before a large service, so we had to swap in the backup - which had identical settings dialled in and saved. Imagine our surprise when the system sound changed completely as compared with the old box. So different in fact that it was like mixing on a completely different setup - which made for some interesting moments during the service as there had been no time for a second sound check between failure and replacement.

I've had the unit on the bench this last 24 hours or so, and yesterday afternoon I performed both soft and hard resets. Problem still there. I re-flashed the firmware to 1.600 - still faulty. Tried another hard reset - this time it threw up a Checksum error, and took me to the firmware update mode. I re-flashed the firmware again and it hard-reset - successfully this time. Problem still there - even with all settings set to 0 (or 0dB where appropriate) and all processing modules switched off.

I switched it on this morning - and it was still faulty before going to play with the main PA system for another couple of hours to sort out the EQ and levels balance. Came back for lunch four hours later, and it's alive and well again! It sounds glorious too!

So - has anyone else had their confidence knocked like this? Any ideas on the cause? And what was the fix - replacement? Repair?

C :rolleyes:

PS - Two other related questions: 1 - does anyone know of a Mac client in the works for the GUI interface? Can't be that hard! 2 - Is there a way to get the GUI software to print a human-readable listing of the settings so they can be dialled in from the front panel in a dire emergency? Seems silly not to have this really, given that the installer more often than not won't be on-site in the event of a failure...

So - has anyone else had their confidence knocked like this? Any ideas on the cause? And what was the fix - replacement? Repair?

Only once. About an hour before curtain up in the middle of a week long run, when everything was powered up, it displayed an error (can't remember exact wording but I think something checksum related) and offered to reset to defaults. There being no other option, I accepted this, at which point it wiped my carefully tweaked programmes :rolleyes: I spent the next 45 minutes trying to reprogram it all from memory...

No idea what caused it; I now try to keep settings documented on paper as I set it up (from the front panel) but thus far it's behaved perfectly since then.

Archived